Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagon Quilts >

Hexagon Quilts

Hexagon Quilts

Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 AM

Default Hexies

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Where did you get the fiskars punch? Can you buy a hexie punch on line? Bonnie Hunter mentioned a creative memories one with a 3/4" side. Is there such a one with a 1" side?
I found my 1" punch on amazon. I love to use the pesky advertisement cards found in magazines.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 AM

Fiskars makes a 1" and 1/2" punches. I bought mine at Joann's. However, the packaging does not state the size of the sides...just across. So take a small ruler with you. (I looked for a ruler in the store..lol...). I believe the extra large is the 1".
Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 AM

Yes fiskar has the 1" punch. Do they make a larger one?
The one Bonnie hunter uses by creative memories is no longer made...understand company went under...saw it oh eBay once......try there

I liked glue basting the hexies...much faster, but now reading that they come apart is causing me to hesitate......

Btw...did one Mickey depre hexie rosette last night....that was fun! Hmmmmmm!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 AM

I caught the hexie bug too. We are on the go a lot, and dh does the driving. In each vehicle, I put a container with everything I need to make a few rosettes. That way, no matter which vehicle we are in, I have something in there to work on. Never leave home without them. At home, I also have a container so that I can work on some while I am watching tv.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 AM

I posted the below on a previous thread. I haven't tried it yet but when I do hexi's I plan on using this method. It really does look easy. Thinking about it - I wonder if you use batting in each circle before folding it and stitching, when you are done it would be like a QYAG method. Use batting cut in the hexi shape. After you stitch them together you would have the three layers, front center and back. Assemble and you are done. You could even quilt each hexi individually if you wanted to this way.

On Quilting Arts episode 1308 called Quilting Simplified, Julia Woods shows how to do hexies from circles-no templates or papers/plastic needed. If I decide to do hexies I am doing it this way. Also due to weight I would think batting would not be needed unless you want a VERY warm quilt. She also has a book that shows this method. It is easy enough if you watch the show that the book probably wouldn't be needed unless you need more instructions or the patterns.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 AM

I have a question regarding the basting of hexies. I first started doing hexies using 2" paper pieces and followed the tut on Connecting Threads that shows doing the basting so it shows on the right side and once you join the hexies and remove the paper you also remove the basting stitches. I enjoyed doing the 2" hexies, so purchased some 3/4" hexies and cut the fabric with my Accuquilt cutter. Great way to cut the fabric. After doing a number of the small hexies while traveling with the airlines, I watched Bonnie Hunters tut and it shows doing the basting stitches so they do not show and leave them in. My question is, if I continue to baste the way I have been, will the hexies shape stay once I put the hexies together and remove the basting stitches and paper? I think I will switch to doing the basting the Bonnie Hunter way, but would also like to be able to use the hexies that I have done.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
I have never been interested in hexie quilts and all of a sudden last year I got the bug! I have completed two quilts and now in the process of sewing together a Christmas 1.5" hexie quilt. I baste mine because of the glue coming loose on the hexies. I call it my therapy. Gives my hands something to do when I am sitting in my recliner watching TV. I do have to say that it has drastically affected my reading time though. Apparently I sit around a lot! LOL
Your black and white hexi is absolutely stunning!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Sophie2:
I would think you could use the two methods together without a problem. When I baste the papers, I do take one fairly large stitch thru the paper and fabric on each "side" and catch the "corners" with a couple small stitches. When I remove the papers, I just clip the one stitch from the front, turn it over and remove the paper, and leave the basting stitches in. I feel the extra stitch will stabilize the sides a bit better. Takes a bit more time I suppose, but before I started taking the one stitch, my sides sometimes seemed to sag a bit. I use one inch hexies. You may not have a problem with sagging with 3/4 inch.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I love hexies! I'm with Judith Ann on this one too. I find basting hexies so relaxing! I tried the glue method but found it messy & took me longer than basting with thread. Find the method that works best for you and enjoy!
I too find basting relaxing and easy to do on the go. I don't like gluing so have not tried it but don't see how I could do it on the go. Have recently started a traditional grandmother's flower garden with 40's fabric and having fun with it.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I used Elmer's washable glue stick and the Sewling glue pen to baste my hexies. None have come loose but I don't skimp on the glue. The paper pops right out after it dries, no problem. I won't thread baste hexies anymore. That is so a waste of time to me.
I do the same thing and have had no problems and it's so easy. I don't make to many in advance of sewing them together tho. i also punched a small hole in the center of the paper so i can stick my seam ripper in the hole to remove them with ease