Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who uses flannel backs? >

Who uses flannel backs?

Who uses flannel backs?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 AM

I make a lot of Linus quilts and always use flannel on the back of them. I think it makes them more cozy and less likely to slide off of the child or their bed etc. If I am making a lap robe for someone chair bound it also helps them with the same problems. Joanns has a huge sale the day after Thanksgiving that offered the flannel at half price. I purchased several whole bolts of it at that time.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
I use flannel for a lot of my quilt backs, but at $11.49 for 1/2 yard, I would be very hesitant to purchase it from that website. Especially when I can get it for $13.95 for 1 yard at Thousands of Bolts. Sorry!
Second that, I have made a lot of quilts and backed them with flannel as I just love the cosiness, had no problems with laundering and after 7 years with one of them, no pilling, I get mine from thousands of bolts who have a fab selection at a great price http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/inde...search_string=
Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 AM

I guess I need to get out of my sewing room more often. I didn't even know there was such a thing as flannel batiks. Is it hard to quilt on like the regular batiks? I know my customers are unaware as well since many of them sew on batiks as well and I've never seen a flannel batik back. Will go to the site you mentioned and see if I can get a few scraps to show my customers. I'm sure they would love it.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I have used flannel on the back of baby quilts
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 AM

I love flannel on the backs of my quilts, and I love wide fabric, and I love batiks, but I had NO CLUE that wide flannel batiks existed! I didn't know flannel batiks existed!

Will definitely have to check this out.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM

As a newbie, I have only used regular cotton thus far, but am just starting my first flannel-backed large throw as a chemo quilt for a close friend.

i love the feel of it but would not pay twice as much. I think the batik market is niche, and would surmise that batik flannel is even a smaller subset of quilters. Batik flannel at $23/yd ? I personally wouldn't consider it. And from a company I've never heard of? Too risky where color and quality are at stake.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Suz

I just made a baby quilt and used flannel on the back as also as a batting. I wanted it to be flexible and it would snuggle closely about the baby this winter. All layers were washed and dried before assembly.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by phusker5 View Post
They do attend the large quilt shows but in my opinion they haven't "marketed" the flannels enough because most people don't know that "wide batik flannels" ever existed.
I was just thinking the same thing. I have always pieced my flannel backs. I did not know anyone makes or sells them! The disappointing thing is that until recently, I have had subscriptions to ten sewing magazines and never even saw an ad for them. Maybe you should send them a link to this thread. IMHO
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM

I had never heard of that company. But, the minute I get finished here, I will look them up. I love batiks but had not seen the wide flannel. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM

I love their extra-wide flannel batiks and use them whenever I can. They're probably one of the highest-quality flannels I've seen, but they do require several pre-washes and a lot of Color Catchers. A yard may be twice the price of a regular width yard, but remember that they're more than twice the width of a regular yard, too, so it's actually a better deal. I would be VERY sorry to see them discontinue their extra-wides.