Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls >

Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

Old 07-26-2014, 04:29 AM

thanks for all the suggestions!I just got home from night shift - will try to snap a pic - they're still wrinkled since they've had a rough 10 yrs of toting back and forth and being shoved in drawers..sigh...I'm not a great embroidery person but I thought they were cute and just wanted to outline them. what's sorta cool is my sister in law was bugging me once when I was working on them - my dad was having surgery and I had them with me and she kept wanting to do one but I didn't have an extra hoop - she didn't care. the second I put my work aside she wanted my hoop - these boys have shirts with 'x' on them - turns out she was hooked. I gave her a noah's ark crib top thinking she'd fizzle out but she finished it (I had to quilt it and listen to her gripe when the foot pulled a couple of stitches loose- I had warned her it should be hand quilted (not me!) and that she needed to leave a longer tail instead of snipping it so close..sigh...or stitch over the tail..anyways turns out she liked the x stuff but not on fabric so she's become a cross-stitcher -s he can see those tiny spaces and loves it! so I got her addicted without even trying. she does some nice work too.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Banned

I like to use color-matched flying geese strips between the blocks instead of just regular strips. Adds gentle contrast and a lot more size.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485126[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485126[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	485126  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 PM

Sorry gonna have to read up on posting pics Kept saying no file found then a bunch shwed up! Pls ignore the stripes underneath..I laid them out on my dr Seuss quilted bed yes I'm a kid at heart lol! But I'm kinfpda liking the stripe on this quilts inner border next to the blocks! The boys are only outlined and are one preprinted broadcloth thin stuff. Since I'm repeating so many I decided to turn some around and stitch on the reverse side so they'd face different directions. Think I switched 2 so dpfar..the kid with the worm(looks like snake to me but since fishing prob a worm lol) and the boy carrying the bucket.

any different. Or additional ideas after seeing the blocks? Kinda wondering about ordering more and just sashing but that would be a lot of handwork when this has already taken years though mostly because I keep putting the project aside...it seemed to be hospital activity I guess since mist were done when my dad was in the hospital various times though I did a few this year at bees when I didn't want to mess with my sewing machine
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 PM

oops looks like the other water boy got cut off - he's the bottom right block that doesn't show up. oh well. it's one of my favorite blocks - I liked the little boys but didnt' pay close attention to the fishing theme LOL - I hate fishing! I skipped the little details on the fish - one friend pointed that out and I told her my eyes were bad so I wouldn't be able to tell LOL
Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 AM

Those are adorable! So from the looks of them - they appear rectangular. Will you square them up? or leave them as a rectangle?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 AM

Betty they have cutting and sewing lines to Make them either 9 or 9 1/2 inches square.some I cut and then started 'rough' cutting when I found I needed more fabric to put in the hoop for stability.
I thought they were cute little guys..chubby LOL..cheerful. Reminds me of the Andy Griffith show with the fishing! Happy times. The shirts with all this x's grr. The one I'm doing now is another with the boot on the fishing pole I meant to turn him around but forgot so he'll match the same direction as the other one with the boot. They're fun to do though.

I have another project I'll have to ask advice for...it's a very very old little Dutch girl appliqué that should have been my baby quilt (I'm 47!) and pieces are fragile on some and not sure if I should go ahead and sew the pm together and mix in newer muslin for the other cut out pieces and baste and quilt it or what. At least these boys are new and not so fragile unless I wash them and the embroidery comes loose! Some of the muslin on the appliqué looks stained or darker in places. Looks similar to sunbonnet sue. It mama says her grandma called it Dutch girl. I'll have to get pics of those and post another thread later I guess. Great advice on here!