Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting myths or preference? >

Quilting myths or preference?

Quilting myths or preference?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 AM

I use poly thread now. I'm a convert, used to would not stray from doing it "right" and using cotton thread I have had a lot of thread breakage in my machine quilting on the diagoanal when I had used the cotton. I use the poly for piecing also.
Robin in TX
Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 AM

I piece with aurifil because it is so fine but I use whatever I would like the look of when I quilt. I don't know if my quilts will last forever but I sure enjoy creating them.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM

I like to do fancy stitch embroidery with my machine and I use whatever thread goes with the design . I love using the variegated threads and there are very few colors in 100% cotton.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by rob529 View Post
I use poly thread now. I'm a convert, used to would not stray from doing it "right" and using cotton thread I have had a lot of thread breakage in my machine quilting on the diagoanal when I had used the cotton. I use the poly for piecing also.
Robin in TX
Curious as to why the thread breaks more when sewing on the diagonal?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 AM

There seems to be nearly universal agreement that polyester threads have been vastly improved from early varieties and are fine to quilt with. It's just a matter of preference. I find the idea of using cotton thread to be more appealing (same with fabric), so that's what I use.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 AM

That myth was exposed a while ago. Just like you were only supposed to use cotton fabric. I use whatever I find fir my colors and price. They used to say if you use poly thread on cotton it will eventually cut thru the fabric and that's been disproved. There us a video on thus somewhere by a Bob somebody. It's very interesting.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You can buy direct from the manufacturer www.bobbincentral.com but I have read they have a minimum purchase? I have yet to find that stated anywhere on their website but then again when I order thread I am dropping at least $50 per order so maybe the minimum purchase appears when you check out.

It is also carried here:
http://www.quiltscomplete.com/Depart...ead/Glide.aspx
I ordered from bobbincentral and never saw a minimum order requirement. (I wonder if that is for wholesale orders?) I LOVE the Glide thread and wish I could find it locally. My longarm dealer used to carry it, but she could not make much money on it.I had to mail order from her as well, so shipping was paid one way or the other!

I use whatever thread I feel like. Cotton, poly, silk...some quilts just call for different threads. If I am going to do alot of small quilting I tend to head for SoFine. I have some silk in there but I bought it for my husbands quilt..which is STILL not done!. Even Permacore and Omni which are poly , leave lint in my bobbin area. Lint is a fact of life in machine quilting, so pull out your paint brush and brush it out!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM

Like others, I use what suits ME. I will always listen to advice and read the "rules of quilting", but in the end, I do what is best for me and what makes me happy with the process and end result.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM

I have used polyester thread, but found that for me it didn't work for piecing. The cotton setting on my iron melted the poly thread and the quilt literally fell apart when I lifted it off the ironing board. Now I just don't let poly thread near my quilting area so I don't accidentally use it for piecing. I still use it in my serger for clothes.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I have used polyester thread, but found that for me it didn't work for piecing. The cotton setting on my iron melted the poly thread and the quilt literally fell apart when I lifted it off the ironing board. Now I just don't let poly thread near my quilting area so I don't accidentally use it for piecing. I still use it in my serger for clothes.
i heard stories like yours from other quilters, but honestly, it never happened to me. I use poly thread for piecing and iron it on cotton setting and it has never melted. This and other stories was one of the reasons I started this thread. I have just spent a small fortune on Omni by Superior Threads, and if I did not know it was a polyester thread I would have thought that it was cotton. It is even as linty as cotton. Once I use up this batch I will have to swith to something less linty, like Glide.