Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting myths or preference? >

Quilting myths or preference?

Quilting myths or preference?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I think Glide would be on the thick side for piecing. Love it for quilting, though.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

maybe it is just old fashioned me. but when did we become a community of quilters where anything goes?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:50 PM

I truly believe quilting has always been an "anything goes" activity in it's purest form. I know my quilting ancestors did not have a list of rules to tell them how to do it "right". My mother and grandmother sewed quilts for necessity and warmth, and used what they had. I cannot imagine them turning up their noses at a gift of fabric or thread because it just wasn't the thing in vogue at the time. Quilt police were never an issue.

If one is doing art quilts for entering competitions, then by all means, the rules of the competition must be followed. But when did those become the rules for the rest of us who quilt for fun, charity, love, etc.?
IMHO, it's old fashioned to do what suits and pleases you, rather than following a lot of rules that you never signed up for. LOL. Hugsss and smiless and happy quilting!

I just wanted to add, I have never had poly thread melt and I've ironed thousands of blocks in the 100+ quilts I've made. I wonder if the thread that melted might have been the clear poly invisible thread. That I've had melt any time a hot iron comes in contact with it.

Last edited by wildyard; 07-31-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM

I use this same process.
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I use cotton thread for both piecing and quilting......so I stop and clean lint balls more often.....I don't do quilted art pieces so no need for other threads... When I use serger I use serger thread, when I do embroidery I use the thread recommended for it...just my way....
Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM

I just realized today that Guterman is 100% Polyester and I use it for hand stitching my gfg and it is the only one that has not frayed or broken on me. I am doing some machine applique with fancy stitches and most of the prettier thread is either poly or rayon, there is very few variegated cotton threads which I love in doing machine applique.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

My LAQ uses poly. When I bought my Tiara, myLQS recommended 100% poly. This is all a change from when I bought my Bernina 153 10+ years ago and was told use only cotton thread.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 AM

I have always( about 40 years now) been told not to use poly thread on cotton fabric because it acts like a razor blade and will cut the fabric.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redneckwoman View Post
I have always( about 40 years now) been told not to use poly thread on cotton fabric because it acts like a razor blade and will cut the fabric.
this is one myth of many. Here is a great article on the subject. http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...ar-the-fabric/
Old 08-01-2014, 04:16 AM

I like the Anton rayon thread as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 AM

I really prefer all cotton fabrics in my quilts, but when it comes to thread I am far less picky. The newer poly threads are not like those fishing line poly threads of our youth! And my LA won't tolerate cotton thread up top.... it snaps every six inches, so I don't even try anymore! I can use cotton thread in the bobbin area, but not on the top. And of course someone is going to say mixing two kinds of thread is a problem, with the poly being stronger than the cotton, but I have quilts that are 20 years old and have been washed numerous times, and show no signs of suffering from that issue, so I don't worry too much about that either. I think you have to decide what works in your world and go with experience. Sometimes the so-called-experts are just flat wrong. (And sometimes we are! LOL!) But I think my quilts will outlive me, at any rate, so I'll just be content with that for now.