Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I cannot believe we have one here >

I cannot believe we have one here

I cannot believe we have one here

Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm not crazy about the "HOBBY LOBBY" we have. Not much fabric and I know of a gal who works in another dept. of the store. She's an excellent seamstress and quilter. Doesn't make sense since the gals in the fabric section only know how to cut the fabric and will tell you if they are unsure of a product. I rarely go there.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:42 AM

We are getting a Harbor Freight, it is 40 min. away. I'm as happy about it as my husband.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I just wish that even with the extra register, they would have enough employees to man the stations during their big sales. I get so tired of standing in these long lines.
I go to Joann fabrics when I must. As we travel in summer I have visited many. They all seem to be short staffed. Now they sell fabrics as costly as $13-14 per yd. the better coupons are rarely usable since they often have a sale of 25 or 30% off. It's frustrating! I like Hobby Lobby better but they don't have everything.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:34 AM

Don't disparage what you do have. At least, you don't have to drive an hour or more to get to a JoAnnes, or many hours to get to the one Hobby Lobby in your state.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 AM

My first thought also. Competition is good for the customer!
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Competition will do that...now you have two new stores...enjoy!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 AM

Default Hey Mousk

Originally Posted by Mouskalollie View Post
I was just talking about this on Facebook last night. I live in an area with a population of 500,000. The ONLY fabric stores we have is Joann's, Bolts in the Bathtub (LQS) and a tiny one in one of our Walmarts (we have 4 of those!) I have to drive an hour to hour and a half to Bakersfield or Burbank to go to a Hobby Lobby. Even then there aren't very many LQS down there.
Which Walmart has fabric? I usually do Bfld instead of your way just in case I have time for some fabric. Three boys don't usually leave me much time. (I'm in Stallion) I did go to the quilt show at the fairgrounds a couple years ago. Small but some nice stuff!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

Be careful of Harbor Freight - they may have great prices but most of their stuff is sub-standard. My husband bot a nozzle sprayer for the pressure washer. Worked fine twice. 3rd time the pressure blew the nozzle across the garage. Good thing the car and no little kids were in the way. Took it back for refund/replacement. No receipt/no return! It was a Harbor Freight product with their NAME on it. DUH! You get what you pay for! Long lines and lack of employees are typical of JoAnn's. And I have pretty much been in most of them up and down the California, Oregon and Washington west coast borders.... as we travel 4 months in winter.... I like Hobby Lobby but don't have one here YET!! Happy Quilting!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

I live on Long Island and have never set foot in a Hobby Lobby...I have heard so much good about them. I wish they would come my way!!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Hobby Lobby is one of my favorites. If you can't find what you need there then it probably doesn't exist. Our Hobby Lobby is about to make a move to a larger building, and closer to my house; this can be a good thing or my DH's worst nightmare. Jo-Anns is a great store and competition is healthy and a boon to us as consumers. While we are on that subject has anyone else noticed that some of the fabrics designed specifically for Jo-Ann's fabrics are sometimes very flimsy?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by slowquilts View Post
Which Walmart has fabric? I usually do Bfld instead of your way just in case I have time for some fabric. Three boys don't usually leave me much time. (I'm in Stallion) I did go to the quilt show at the fairgrounds a couple years ago. Small but some nice stuff!
The only Walmart left that has it is the one in Palmdale on 10th Street West. There isn't a lot but there is some. I also like Hancock's in Bflsd also. The store is a bit of a mess but the ladies there are super helpful and nice. There is a LQS there but I haven't been to it yet. I have a friend in Stallion and my SIL is in Golden Hills