Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granddaughter getting married NEED HELP! >

Granddaughter getting married NEED HELP!

Granddaughter getting married NEED HELP!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Does she like traditional or modern? That would be a deciding factor too. Dresdens are a versatile design, so it is up to you to decide.......just go on line to all the sites offered and make notes, go to LQS, get some color samples......play...but not too much..you'll never make a final choice....new fabric is offered daily it seems.. Don't panic you have a year to do this!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Check this out: http://www.pinterest.com/quiltinspir...-plate-quilts/

Also, the plates made with Kaffe prints would work without much trouble trying to match colors. Would be a gorgeous quilt. (Where's my bucket list!) lol
As directed by yngldy, there is a rather modern rendition of yellow, brown, orange and teal which will give you an idea. Like their use of the background in every other wedge too, as it calms it down and gives a constant to all the dresdans. Here is the site for that particular quilt, with directions too.

http://elsiesgirl.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM

I agree the quilt shop people are usually good with helping..What u can do is pick the colors she told u she wanted then lay them out..and then pick what u like for the other 2 colors..I personally think the corner pieces should be a light color..also have u thought of taking your grdaughter with u to help pick her colors..I have made my grdaughter wedding quilts also..and most of the colors are not what .I would pick..But I have found out that what I picked for the pattern..Does not always go with the colors..with teal and orange and yellow..u should stick with the brighter colors for the fan..otherwise the dark color will stand out too much..or if u do all bright colors for the fan..u could use black for the corner piece.That would make it very bright..That also would be pretty..many range of color for this..
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Teal goes with all those colors. I'd pick a similar value for each color.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 AM

I agree with doing the plates in different colors, just vary the shades. If you can find a print that has most of the colors, that could be used as the centers to tie them together. Once they are done, you could lay out the plates so the colors make an additional pattern (like diagonal rows of tan, yellow, orange, chocolate, then teal) or just lay them on the floor randomly until you feel happy with the look. The most important thing is that you are making the quilt for her and it is made with love and joy - everything else is just details!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 AM

The colors you list would lend themselves to something southwest America looking. I would start there, and see what fabrics have the right colors for you. Try to find a focus fabric with the colors you need, then pull the other colors from that fabric?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I think I would find a small print for the focus fabric, with the colors you plan to use, and make that the center of the Dresden Plate. You could also use the focus fabric for the sashing and could use cornerstones of each of the colors used in the plate. Eleanor Burns has a great pattern for the Dresden Plate, that I used for a family reunion quilt, the only colors I had control over were the background and the center of the plate, the remaining colors came from fabrics sent by family members. I've been told by several of my family members that it was the best reunion quilt I had ever made, although by choosing blue and being sent all medium blue prints, all coordinated as if I had chosen them. Too bad I didn't get to bring it home with me. Oh well, maybe I'll win a quilt one of these years, but I enjoy making them, especially working with fabrics I might not normally use. Congratulations on your DGD getting married and you have a year to complete the quilt.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Check this out: http://www.pinterest.com/quiltinspir...-plate-quilts/

Also, the plates made with Kaffe prints would work without much trouble trying to match colors. Would be a gorgeous quilt. (Where's my bucket list!) lol
Those quilt pictures are WOW, not what my MIL would have made here on the farm.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM

If your granddaughter like florals, there some wonderful ones with those colors, and then use blenders or solid colors found in the floral, alternate floral with solid. I saw one with yellow background and it was really lovely. By all means get your granddaughter to help you pick out what she would like.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM

I think those colors sound great, I think the teal will make it pop. Just go and get some samples cards of paint colors at somewhere like Lowes, Hope Depot, or anywhere that has sample cards. Play with the colors and you will get it. Please keep us updated and post pictures.. There are lots of beautiful dresden plates on pinterest.