Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Assistance needed with 401- Please! >

Assistance needed with 401- Please!

Assistance needed with 401- Please!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM

And do this too:
http://youtu.be/mdaWx1gGZWg - ""UnFreeze" your Singer Slant-O-Matic sewing machine"

Full disclosure: I made the video and posted it to YouTube.
It's a little shaky, no way to use a tripod AND show the parts that needed to be.

My thinking is that if it's set to zig zag or some other decorative stitch and the stitch selectors or the zig zag mechanism is "frozen", it will hang the machine up too.

(Sorry Joe, I know you can't watch it)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Oh good heavens, I have been at this computer all morning long. I got stuck on reading the whole thing of those three ladies showing Alyce (forgot her screen name) how to get her 401 going. Y'all need a publisher....this was a really good read, and Tammi, your voice and presentation was better than some movies I have seen where the performers got paid BIG bucks. Now I need to go finish a quilt that I have to put into a competition next week.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM

Joe, Tammi, and all the others who have been helpful - here is the update and a few additional questions -

The mere thought of me approaching the machine with a screwdriver must have "loosened" its' innards because this morning the needle turned freely without any problem.

However, the stitch selection dials are partially frozen up. One moves only a little, the other not at all.

As I have used this machine, and it's twin, which I own as well, I know I am moving or attempting to move the dials correctly. And although it was "serviced" just last year, I am not confident it got more than a simple dusting and cleaning. It does stitch a nice clean straight stitch.

I've bookmarked the video posted - thanks so much! It looks helpful from the first part I viewed but I have to get on to something else for a bit, then I'll come back to it.

I have found a home for this machine with a friend who will treasure it and I hope to get it in tip top condition before I hand it over.

I would like to know where I can buy a new bakelite fitting for the end of the power cord as well as the mating piece for the side of the machine. Are these still available? This one is cracked and does not always connect cleanly. If you know of any sources, please let me know.

I do know that this machine will be given a thorough cleaning of it's innards too - long overdue!

Thanks again, to all!

GEMRM
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM

I would try YOUTUBE and see if there is a video out there about the machine. I bought a used serger and could not figure out how to thread it--the book might as well have been written in a foreign language--anyway, I found a video of how to thread it. Easy as pie!! I think anything a person needs to know is on the web somewhere. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Isn't Joe wonderful. So knowledgeable and helpful.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
If it was working when it was put away, time and old oil have gummed her up. Go to Sew-Classic, a bike shop, a hardware store and acquire a bottle of Tri-Flow oil a bottle of denatured alcohol and a tube of Singer or Tri-Flow grease.

Take the top off, take the nose piece off, take the bottom off, take the needle plate and slide plate off, pull the bobbin case out, remove the hand wheel and clean, clean, clean, clean. Once it's clean and freed up you can oil the dickens out of it with the Tri-Flow and grease the gears and the fiber gear on the hand wheel with Singer grease or the Tri-Flow grease, do not oil them.
I use the denatured alcohol with a tooth brush, q-tips, cotton balls or pieces of soft rag to clean everything that moves, and there is a lot that moves in those machines.

401s are oil hogs and need maintenance regularly. Without it they can gum up like yours.

Joe
Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
Isn't Joe wonderful. So knowledgeable and helpful.

Yes, he certainly is - we're lucky he's here to help us all, and offers his helpful advice with a sense of humor too!
Thanks again Joe!