Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enough is Enough! >

Enough is Enough!

Enough is Enough!

Old 09-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Oh to have such a problem, can't they be "taken back" at Christmas or whatever when you receive something you can't use and use store credit for items you do want (like thread or fabric)?
I have been quilting for over 20 years and I don't ever get quilt related items except from hubby & I have to tell him exactly what to buy & where. I get all kinds of stuff I will truly never use & don't want. Doesn't anyone think a quilter might like a quilting magazine or gift cards to the LQS? I'd much rather get things I can use or trade in.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Offer it all up for sale here on the board or for trade or a pay it forward project. I am sure you would make a lot of members happy to be able to purchase, trade or pay it forward for some of your family "quilting treasures" I know I would be delighted to see what you have.
Pat (homecaregiver)
Old 09-06-2014, 03:35 PM

You are very blessed to have had such generosity from others. I can't imagine being in your position but you have done the right thing and said "enough is enough"
Old 09-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When others gift me with their don't wants because I sew, cook, etc. I thank them and then the items go right to the trash or to the Salvation Army donation box. I don't keep them. My ex sister in law was always giving me stuff that she did not want but wanted to be kept in the family. Her thoughts were I would store it. She brought over two big boxes of her aunt's china. She didn't want it or have room for it so it was mine. About a year later she mentioned that I had the china and would probably let a cousin who was moving into a new apartment have it. I said oh DH said it was ugly so I sold it to an antique shop and bought the living room rug I wanted. LOLOLOLOL actually I donated it to Salvation Army.
All I can say is....I am appalled. Please if you don't want things given to you then say so upfront. It is the epitome of rudeness! I am a very sentimental person. I could not imagine sharing a family treasure with someone who would immediately turn around and trash it. Then you lied about it and think its funny? I would much rather the person be up front and honest with me and tell me they have no desire for it and then I could find someone who did. I just don't get it!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have been a quilter for many years, my, 2 Grandmothers, 3 Great grandmothers, and at least 1 Great, Great, Grandmother were all quilters. For some unknown reason I have not only inherited most of there quilts, that still survive, but everything else they used if it was not worn out. Some of it I would not part with for any thing, some of it is just taking up space, but no one wants it so here it sits, Every one in my family seems to think all I want is more sewing stuff, special rulers I will never use or want, fancy pins ( with numbers or letters on the heads), special basting gun, odd little scissors, extra feet for machines that do not fit any of my machines, I am sure you get the idea, over the years I have these and a lot of other STUFF most is still in its store packaging, never been opened. Well ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! This winter my goal is to pack up everything quilty that I do not want or do not use. I have so much it might be easier to pack up what I do want and use. LOL Have already told family NO MORE SEWING SUPPLY'S for birthday or Christmas, a nice card or letter would be more appreciated Does any one else have this problem? I love my hobby, but I have run out of room, well two rooms really. I can't find any thing! Something has to go! Some days I feel like a lion tamer and need to approach the sewing area with a whip and chair. LOL
Oh my gosh, if you want to pack it all up and send it to me, I will be happy to tame it for you.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:29 AM

I WISH I had your problem. I have hinted and hinted all during the year that IMO the most awesome gift is a gift card to a quilting shop - even an online shop - for anyone who loves to quilt. Every year, every birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, my kids struggle with what to give me. I always stress that they shouldn't spend their money on me. I would much prefer that they spend on themselves, their children or others they feel they need to buy for. But, in the end, I get another coffee mug with a cute saying, a bath gift set, or something like it. It's the thought that counts and I am blessed to have those who think enough of me to want to give me a gift so...............I buy my own quilting goodies!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 AM

We use lists in our family. It really helps with the gift giving and avoiding duplicates. Things on my lists are always washable school glue, frixon pens, best press, money for my fabric kitty so I can buy fabric when I see something I like, gift cards to fabric shop. When we give money we often give it in unusual forms such as 25 gold dollar coins or recently we gave one of our kids birthday money in $2 bills. My daughter gave me money wrapped in a fat quarter of fabric I can use. We don't expect to get everything on our lists but that's the fun of it.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 AM

For your old quilts by great, and great great grandmothers donate them to a museum. Just be sure you have the name of who made it and any other information you have. there are Quilt museums out there that love to have old qults.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 AM

I agree with the others, if you have the gumption, sell it on Ebay or Etsy, or even easier, there is a huge yahoo group called Sew Its for Sale, it costs you nothing but time to post an email and maybe a photo or two. I sell lots of my excess things there. All you have to do is sign up for a yahoo email addy, if you dont have one already. Also you can sell the things here as well. I am working my way up to that status. Also there is a board here that is all about charitable donations needed, if I am not mistaken?

I am celebrating my 64th birthday this month and I have been slowly selling my things. Even my sentimental items (like my antique quilts, found on trips with friends, a $1 raffle quilt I won, etc). I find if I have several good photos of it that I can go to anytime I want, its easier to let them go. I know my only child will certainly not want all of this to deal with! Shes my gypsy child who moved from one side of the country to the other for 15 yrs and if it didnt fit in her car, she didnt take it! My mom, also a quilter passed a few years ago, it was horribly hard work to go through all of her things and deal with them. You could donate them as well, there is always someone who is doing charity work that can use the fabric, threads, needles, etc. Good luck in your decision and use the money you make to buy what YOU want
Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
When others gift me with their don't wants because I sew, cook, etc. I thank them and then the items go right to the trash or to the Salvation Army donation box. I don't keep them. My ex sister in law was always giving me stuff that she did not want but wanted to be kept in the family. Her thoughts were I would store it. She brought over two big boxes of her aunt's china. She didn't want it or have room for it so it was mine. About a year later she mentioned that I had the china and would probably let a cousin who was moving into a new apartment have it. I said oh DH said it was ugly so I sold it to an antique shop and bought the living room rug I wanted. LOLOLOLOL actually I donated it to Salvation Army.

Cogito:

All I can say is....I am appalled. Please if you don't want things given to you then say so upfront. It is the epitome of rudeness! I am a very sentimental person. I could not imagine sharing a family treasure with someone who would immediately turn around and trash it. Then you lied about it and think its funny? I would much rather the person be up front and honest with me and tell me they have no desire for it and then I could find someone who did. I just don't get it!

I tend to agree with part of cogito's comment -

if one does not want something (especially if it's something "good") - I would much rather have the person say "I don't want/need it - it would be better if you gave it to someone that would appreciate it- but thank you for thinking of me" than to take it and trash/discard/sell whatever.