Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color catchers >

color catchers

color catchers

Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM

I buy Retayne from Dharma.com. It is a color fixer, I use it when dyeing fabric. If you use it with your first wash of anything fabric, from fabric, to clothes, to quilts then the color will not bleed or migrate later. The large bottle is economic to buy. No need to buy anything that needs to be used over and over. By the way the washing soda solution really works. It makes a molecular bond between the natural fiber and the dye. It does not work with synthetics. I use washing soda, or sodium carbonate, in the dye process to set the color. I have never had my hand dyed fabrics run or bleed. You only need to use it once, no need for the over and over. If using for new cloth, I would add about a quarter cup per gallon in a full washing machine, agitate the fabric for about five minutes, do not let the water drain but sit and soak fabric for about six hours, then continue through the full cycle and you should be good to go from then on. If you are a pre-washer then treat your new fabric this way, no need for soap and your fabric will be color fast.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Have you tried Target? That's where I have gotten them in the US.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM

I laughed when I saw the price. I tend to agree with Nammie to 7.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Tapper
If you want some, I have extra.PM me.
I find I can use them more than once too - often 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I agree...too much hassle with customs. We can't get freezer paper here in this area. Can you find it in your area? Such a nuisance not being able to buy what you need at a local place.
I will check out your link but first I will try the supermarkets top see if they carry something similar to color catchers.

What part of B.C. do you live?
I have relatives in Langley.
I am not sure what area you live in but here in Ontario ,you can buy freezer paper at Home Hardware.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 AM
T.

Hi, a friend told me about using Lysol toilet cleaner. (I wonder if any brand would work?) I recently tested it & it worked. I washed some new white kitchen towels with red decorative stripes, I thought that since the stripes are part of the towels, it would be OK, well they bled
I poured some Lysol toilet cleaner directly on the red spots and then soak them with a little bit of water. Leave them in for awhile & rinse & they came out white, like new!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 AM

I found LOTS of recipes for homemade color catchers, totally renewable and so inexpensive! Now I havent tried it yet myself, but most of the "do- it yourself" things I have found on Pinterest have been pretty good. I am now making my own clothes softner solution and so on. For sure I would TEST it on something you know bleeds before doing it with anything else..... hope this helps! http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...lor%20catchers
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied. You are the best!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:53 AM

All of our grocery stores sell them. Walmart and Safeway. We have not other chain stores in our little area. In the next town over they have Albertsons and they sell them too.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM

That is crazy, try ebay I don't think I paid more than 15.00 at the grocery store. Do you know anyone in US that can buy it for you and send it to you? Tryi ww3w.shoutitout.com see if you can buy it on line