Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there something better? >

Is there something better?

Is there something better?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 PM

I, too, forgot about cutting the border and binding fabric off the piece that was going to be a wall hanging for my daughter's wedding. I didn't discover my mistake until after the wedding! Therefore, I cut out the signatures, etc, used lightweight fusible and fused it to a different piece of fabric prior to quilting. Since it was the backing, still turned out ok.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

My experience has been that Sharpies will and do bleed and fade. Look for Pigma pens. They are archival, non acid permanent markers that are always suggested by the pros.

Lightly mark your 1/4" seam allowance on the fabric so people don't write into the seam.

Iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric first , then cut the fabric and add the seam lines.

peace
Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM

I did this for neice's wedding quilt. Used the pigma pens and backed the squares with freezer paper. But I used a Manila file folder, cut a hole the size of the finished blocks, marked the inside with pieces of masking tape the size of unfinished blocks. Slip the block into the folder, close it, hand to guest to sign. They have a visual that they will understand and no over lap to worry about. We used the blocks instead of a guest book, so had two folders going at the same time. Worked pretty slick.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Also a Pigma pen .05 is easier to use than the narrower .01.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Also a Pigma pen .05 is easier to use than the narrower .01.
My favourite is the .08 and a little harder to find in shops. I can actually "write" with the .08 and find the others kind of scratchy.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 PM

I did the same thing. My DIL was due Feb 2014 but she had a shower in Nov in OH where we used to live. I ironed freezer paper to the back of muslin and also drew a square on the back of the freezer paper. I wasn't at that particular shower so couldn't supervise those squares! Some ladies and children did write clear to the edge of the muslin. ho hum. In a few cases I just redid them and no one was the wiser. Have fun with your project. And I did use the pigma pens....they're great.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I keep hearing that sharpies fade very quickly I can't not remember the name of the better choice. But I'm pretty sure you can buy them at Joanns or your LQS.

Is the quilt intended to be used or a decoration for the room? Baby quilts get washed more than the average quilt I don't know if any pen would hold up to that kind of love.

I remembered Its micron pigma pens.

Also quite a while ago someone did a pen experiment and posted the results I searched for it but came up empty but maybe you can find it. I'm pretty sure it was in the general section.
Billi is right---Sharpies (black) fade quickly, plus some colors (as in turquoise) just plain wash out. Sob, sob, ask me how I know. I've had good luck with the Micron Pigma Pens, as Billi said, and with Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric. I did extensive testing on a scrap with both, and neither faded after repeated washing---once with OxyClean. Save yourself some grief---don't rely on Sharpies!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM

good idea, citruscountyq: I think a template is a great solution.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I would steer away from sharpie markers even though they might say permanent. I would stick with the Pigma Micron pens. I was trying to make a label for DGD's quilt using the Sharpie markers and was not pleased, as they bled onto the muslin fabric I was intending to use. On the other hand, I have quilts with labels that were made in the early 1900's that are still legible after repeated washings. That's been my experience at least. One word of advice, regardless of which pen you decide on, I would iron a piece of freezer paper, slightly smaller than the charm square which would help the writing on the charm square.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Definitely use micron pen .05. Back the fabric with freezer paper before you cut it in the preferred size. If marking seam lines, use a fineline washable marker. I used 2 1/1x 4 1/2 strips. If I did it again, I would make the strips larger.