Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in  the Chattanooga quilt show >

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Guess I'm in the minority - I loved it. I thought most of the quilts were amazing, I was happy with the vendors and the cow quilts were hilarious. I believe there was also a show in Atlanta last weekend, which may have gotten some of the other vendors.

DebD
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM

I loved it too... Great location. I thought the quilts were diverse and beautiful. My friend and I are planning to go again next year.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM

The show I attended last year in Denver was disappointing as well. A lot of the quilts just weren't that well made, for one. Add to that a disappointing list of vendors, which made for an underwhelming experience. The silver lining was that I got to spend time with a quilting friend for half a day.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:40 PM

This thread is interesting to me as I am going to my first major quilt show this weekend (the Mancuso show in Oaks, PA). I've been to several local shows, varying from maybe 100 quilts to over 400. My appreciation for art quilts has grown greatly. Initially I was surprised by how many quilts were not only not perfect, but not any where near perfect. These are not quilts that are being judged, they are there to be enjoyed - not only by the viewer, but by the maker who has put themselves out there and put their work on display. Perhaps they are just starting; perhaps they are learning on their own; perhaps they are growing older and are no longer able to make the stunning pieces that they once did - but they are enjoying what they do. So I've actually become less critical of the quilts and try to appreciate them each for what they offer.

As far as the vendors - I'm not in a place to be able to look at the machines - at least not with an eye to purchase - and don't "need" a thing. I'll be looking for unique fabric, notions not available locally or new to the market.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I enjoyed it! I thought the convention center was very nice and easy access to parking. There were tons of quilts many not my taste but I still enjoyed looking. Got there @ 10:30am and didn't leave until 6:00pm. Then went to the Atlanta show the next day.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 PM

I've gone off quilt shows. I look at the quilts and realise I either don't like the art quilts or the colour combinations or the other quilts because I could never achieve these high standards and am very disillusioned by the whole experience.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 AM

Wow was thinking of going to Chatanooga from Canada as they were advertising at the grand rapids show last year.
I went to the grndrapids show for 3rd time and the minute we walked I my huband said what happened. There was so much empty floor space!
I talked to a vendor from Indiana and said other years there was so much completion nobody made money so this year a lot dropped out so they raised the price for the vendors that id come. She said they won`t be back.After paying a person to watch their store, hotel rooms not worth it.
I don`think I`ll go back.
Gale
Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 AM

Do any of you realize how much it costs to rent a small booth at one of those AQS quilt shows? It depends on the size of the booth, however, a small one cost $1200 and the costs goes up from there. I felt like there were too many long arm quilting vendors there. They have just about taken over.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stashelf View Post
I too was disappointed. The quilts were more modern/art quilts than traditional. The vendors seem to be selling the same things. There were several selling long arm machines and just about everyone had similar fabric. I was surprised at how many quilts were from other countries. I like traditional quilts but the quilts were beautiful. I went to the Medal Of Honor Gala on Saturday, the quilts made for the MOH recipients were on display and they were wonderful. I liked these more than the ones at Chattanooga. (all a matter of personal taste) Chattanooga was well organized, parking was easy, the shuttle came often and the food trucks were great. The free shuttle Chattanooga has that takes you from the Choo-Choo to the river was nice if you hadn't been there before and wanted to see a little bit of the city. Even thou I was disappointed I still enjoyed myself.
I agree with this! The show was less than I would have expected from AQS, however it was a sweet little show. And I do fo for BOTH for the vendors and the quilts. The vendors didn't have much to show though there was an excellent vendor who put out an entire wall of Clover products. It was good to see the entire stock. I was particularly interested in Cherrywood Fabrics and when I found them, the booth was Meh...
the quilts all seemed to be following the latest trend, for instance a couple of years ago everything had heat set crystals. This all seemed to be picture and art quilts. Frankly, the best quilt I saw was a flannel piece down the vendors aisle...a primitive, gorgeous soft tan number.
I will say the venue was terrific, it was easy to get around and the city of Chattanooga is a nice day trip. But, overall it was much better than the usual twice yearly Sewing Expo that comes to Atlanta. So wish we'd have our own Road to California...
Old 09-17-2014, 04:37 AM

I went to the Grand Rapids show this year. I only stayed for 4 hours which was enough. It was at the end of the last day so got a whole bolt of batting for $5/yd as she didn't want to haul it home. DH was impressed with sunshine 16 and said he would save for one. He has back problems so tried then bought a tingling (?) pillow which he says helps. Bought a expensive block loc 1/2 triangle square up ruler and some thread. I did like looking at the art quilts. I don't think I could spend a whole day there. I would have liked to see a sew ez table and a Baily but they weren't there. I thought there were more than enough vendors as so many were similar.