Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone help with kona colors please? >

Can anyone help with kona colors please?

Can anyone help with kona colors please?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Well, sounds like i can cross that purchase off my list and use the $$ for fabric!
I ended up ordering from hancocks paducah...shipping was free and i found a coupon code for 10%off.

Lady, i have a medium grey aurifil 50 that is now my favorite neutral thread.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM

I love love love that quilt! Doesn't need to be toned down at all it is perfect as it is. Color can vary with dye lots and computer screens can make colors look a lot different than they actually are. Best to go to JoAnns with a scrap of what you are matching if you can.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 AM

Ladyduke, on Aurafil for piecing, my favorite is 2600, a pale gray that seems to work with most fabrics.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 AM

Your quilt is beautiful!

I made a quilt using Kaufman Kona in medium gray for a good bit of it, purchased from a LQS (not JA or other Big Box store), but ran out when it came to making one of the borders. I ordered more of it from the same LQS and it took FOREVER for them to get it in. The finally called me and I was so excited! I took the last piece I had over to the shop, and they produced the three yards I had ordered and paid for. Completely different color from my piece. They them brought out two more bolts with the same color marked on them. They matched the 3 yard piece, but not my square from home. They then told me that Kona is notorious for dye changes from lot to lot and there is no guarantee that the colors will match if you don't purchase enough the first time. I wound up purchasing something close in color to the original fabric and using that, but just a word to the wise!

Last edited by Rubesgirl; 09-23-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:07 AM

What's the sense in having a color chart if there is no consistency in the colors? Wendy, I recently had the same exact experience. Made a special trip to JA's just to make sure of the name and ordered on line. No where near the same color, ended up using a random piece that was already in my stash because it was closer in color.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I need to purchase some kona cotton online....looks like the best price right now is at Joann's....If someone has the color chart, would you mind checking out Rich red, and pewter for me? Pics on websites look pretty similar for the red, but the pewter looks grey ( which is what I want) at J's, and it looks black on Hancocks of Paducah site!
Well, I pulled out my Kona color chart and my Buckeye hat and matched up reds and grays.

Looks to me like you may want Poppy and Ash, not Rich Red and Pewter, but Pewter isn't on my 2012 card so that may be closer than Ash which is the tiniest bit lighter than the hat's gray but is the same tone, not bluer or yellower. Personally, from the web images of Pewter, I think it's too dark. Rich Red, however, is definitely a browner red than my (never worn) hat.

A hint: colors tend to be truer at the manufacturer's website than on any store website. They have more at stake when it comes to accurate presentation.

Hancock's of Paducah is currently having a 20% off sitewide sale (thru 9/25), so you'll get a better price there than JoAnn's. At the sale price, Kona at HoP is now $4.38 per yard. Code for the sale is FALL20. JoAnn's price is $5.99 per yard, $0.52 higher than HoP even at their regular price.

Kona color cards are $19.99 at HoP (pre sale), but they're currently out of stock. Something to watch if you want one though. They have a 'notify me' button.
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...ton-Color-Card

And dye lots vary for all fabrics and manufacturers all the time, it's just more obvious with solids because you're looking at pure color, no pattern. The more dyes in the color formula, the greater the variations can be. Be aware of it and plan for it.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Buckeye hat and Kona Ash.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Buckeye hat and Kona reds from color chart.

The color names, in order left to right, are Flame, Lipstick, Tomato, Poppy, Cardinal, -space-, Red, Chinese Red, Rich Red, Ruby, Wine. The fact that the hat panels are four different reds due to the lighting doesn't help much. Sorry.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 AM

So much can affect how we see color. The lights in the stores really change the color as well. I think there is a hand held flashlight in a natural light, but I don't have one. Sometimes I ask permission to take the bolt outdoors to see the color better if I'm at a LQS.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 PM

I can't help you, but your quilt is beautiful!