Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping track of magazine patterns >

Keeping track of magazine patterns

Keeping track of magazine patterns

Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 AM

I have been thinking about this very thing...

I have found that over the years, my tastes change, and I am interested in patterns that I wasn't before. I have thought about creating a system that is more flexible, that can change as I change....

I want to create a master file in Excel, with the Name of the pattern, the Magazine and month/year, and perhaps a few notes about the pattern. Then have Excel list it alphabetically by pattern name. I want to list all the patterns in all the magazines that I currently have, and keep it updated as I get new magazines.

That way, when I see a picture of a quilt that i'd like to make, I can quickly look at my master file to see if I own the pattern.

It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be worth it.

I've even thought about scanning all the magazines and only keeping a digital copy. I am running out of space storing magazines!

Last edited by Girlfriend; 09-27-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 AM

I buy binders and add plastic sleeves to place the patterns into. Then with a sticky label I mark on the front of the binder, quilt patterns (adult), baby quilts, table runners, purse/wallet, etc. If I saved the whole magazine, there simply would not be enough space in my sewing room. Works for !
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 AM

I have 2 separate photo files - .jpeg. The first one is just scanned copies of the quilts I like with each labeld as to the name of the quilt.
The second file is for the scanned copies of the quilts with the complete instructions.

No more paper clutter or space wasters. I can view the quilts file as a slide show whenever I want.

Of courser, I back up the files on a flash drive. Since they are jpeg files they transfer to any computer.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 AM

I do the same thing, but add a sticky tab with the block type on it. say Stars, Rails, Geo, Fish etc. THEN about every 5 years, when the 2 shelves allowed for magazines are full. I take the oldest ones (keep by year & date), and remove the quilt patterns, put them in clear plastic page holder and transfer to a big 3 ring binder. Toss the rest. If I haven't made any thing out of that magazine in 5 yrs, highly likely I won't now. BUT I've saved the one pattern I like best. I also stopped all my subscriptions as they were just mostly the same old thing, in different colors.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM

I just scan the complete pattern into my computer and place in folders to sort them. IE... Baby, throws, by size, Log cabin, floral, etc. I then copy the picture and place just the picture with name of the file its in a Photo folder. When I am looking for a pattern I look in the Photo folder til I find one I want to make then the name on the photo tells me which folder I placed the pattern in. I can find the pattern within minutes. Then I just print out the pages I need. I copy the folders onto a disk as backup. When the disk is full I label the disk with the file names and delete the files on the computer so they don't take up memory space. I copy the photo file on the disk also but leave the Photo file on the computer for future reference. I do this with all my crafts and machine embroidery designs. I also have the files on an external hard drive.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM

I have a couple of favorite designers where I keep all of their patterns together. Example: Terry Atkinson Designs are all stored in plastic sleeves in one 3-ring binder. Bonnie Hunter's designs are all in another 3-ring binder.

At this stage of my craft I find my interests fall in specific areas: history, contemporary, traditional and misc. I treated myself to four nice decorative storage boxes with removable lids. Magazine articles are removed from the publication, stapled together and placed in these storage boxes. I don't (repeat don't) want to spend so much time organizing that my actual sewing time is gone!!!! I do want the information readily accessible and stored neatly. :-)

My shelves are filled with books and 3-ring binders. Some of the soft-cover publications have been hole-punched at a local printer's shop. That investment has helped me keep all of Mary Ellen Hopkins priceless books together neatly, as an example.

Books I have little interest in and used magazines can go to the free pile at guild meetings. Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 PM

I keep the whole magazine put it into a 3 ring binder with a couple of wide rule school papers in the front listing the pattern I want to do from which magazine in that particular binder, that way when someone I know of from here on the Board is looking for a pattern I can scan it & send it to them. I have stopped all my magazine subscriptions now except AQS. So I have 3 3" binders full of magazines so if anyone is looking for a patterns from a variety of magazines send me a PM & I'll see if I have it.
Jeri