Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt >

Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt

Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt

Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 AM

Labor intensive, King size...I wouldn't sell for less than $2000. A friend of mine did a Civil War quilt, King size and she charged by the hour. She kept track of her time and the person she made the quilt for purchased the fabric. She charged $10 an hour and it was more than $300 to have it LAQed. She charged over $2000 for the project and she told me she would never do it again because she was unable to work on her own quilts. The buyer was extremely happy with the quilt and took it to her local QS and it was displayed there for a time.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 AM

Recently I finished a quilt from a McCall's BOM called Tales of Ireland. It's my favorite. I decided to get it appraised. WOW I was shocked to find out that newer quilts are sometimes appraised higher because of the cost to remake it, and also if you've made other quilts that have been juried into a show it adds value to any other quilts you make. My quilt was appraised for $900.

If I was asked how much to sell it, I would not take less than $1800. I love and wouldn't sell it unless I needed to.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
A good guideline for pricing is to figure out square footage then charge $20 - $35 per square foot depending on complexity. You stated this was labor intensive so I would use the $35 rate. A 100" square king is 100 square feet, X $35 = $3500 (use you'd measurements to determine your price
You might want to check your math. 100" is 8 1/3 feet-----------which squared is a bit over 69 square feet.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 AM

My Celtic Solstice is at my long arm quilters. When I get it back, I'll post pictures of it. This quilt has over 5, 520 pieces in it. Thanks for all the replies. I didn't keep up with the time I spent cutting and working on it, which is a real shame. I have decided that I am going to log time/costs, etc. for the quilts I make, if nothing else, just because I want to!

When I made my DD QS DWR QAYG from Cheryl Phillips, "Rings that Bind" I kept up with time and cost. It took me 40 hours just for cutting because I used a border print for the arcs, so I had to match, stack and pin, which was extremely labor intensive. Total cost for materials was right at $500 (and it was QAYG, so there was no LA quilting costs). Total time spent cutting and sewing was either 340 or 360 hours.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Just to have my King quilt quilted commercially cost me $189.50 for a 'panto' graph! Start there for figuring your quilting alone. Then add everything else. I felt I got a great deal for batting, thread, and quilting.