Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double trouble with my machine. Help please! >

Double trouble with my machine. Help please!

Double trouble with my machine. Help please!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aylahopper View Post
Maya (my machine) is giving me 2 problems and I keep trying to troubleshoot and I'm having no luck.

1) Keeps skipping stitches
2) Upper thread keeps breaking

I've tried reinserting the needle, adjusting the tension, running test scraps (with no problems-grrr)

I don't know what else to do. I need her working happily away ASAP. I'm involved in a block swap and the due date is coming up.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had the same problem last week and with 2 machines. I changed needles, thread, adjusted tension, etc. When sewing on a test strip it was fine. I learned the problem was from the fabric, one of the fabrics was a tighter weave and heavier. I sandwiched the pieces together with the lighter fabric on top when stitching and it worked fine, (on both machines). Good Luck in you resolution.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 AM

Default brand name of sewing machine

Maya (my machine) is giving me 2 problems and I keep trying to troubleshoot and I'm having no luck.

I've tried reinserting the needle, adjusting the tension, running test scraps (with no problems-grrr)

I don't know what else to do. I need her working happily away ASAP. I'm involved in a block swap and the due date is coming up.

I had a Baby Lock Crafters choice that did this. It also frayed any brand of thread I tried. I had it in for servicing twice where I bought it, and once (out of desperation) to a different dealer. I finally tossed in the towel and traded it back where I bought it for a new Pfaff. I love my new sewing machine now. It takes any brand of thread. (I didn't get a price break though, just the usual small trade in allowance.)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 AM

Just had this problem and the bobbin case had a "catch" on it. Once it was brought back into round, it was all good. Just a thought as you seem to have taken care of the usual fixes.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:22 AM

Have you cleaned your machine ? My Bernina will do anything and everything weird when it's got lint in it. Clean and oil your machine, change the needle and even the bobbin sometimes. I always go through all these steps when my machine acts weird. Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 AM

Check to see if you have any thread wrapped around your take up in the machine and also check the bobbin and hook for excess lint or pieces of thread. Sometimes there are areas that you don't see readily and it builds up and causes the breakage. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 AM

I have also taken off my throat plate and cleaned the lint out around the bobbin.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nana2Sew View Post
I would check your thread spool. Sometimes the thread gets caught on a nick on the spool end. Also, are you using a spool cap? After you thread the needle, pull the thread through the machine several times and make sure it is flowing smoothly and the needle dose not move.
Check to see if the thread is in the take up lever. When you thread the machine, the presser foot should be up.
These tips have helped me.
I had a large spool of thread that kept catching and doing the same thing, until I noticed the little nick for securing the thread, was catching it. I went and got an emery board and smoothed it, and it worked. Just wanted to share this hint.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM

When this happens to me, i just turn the thread over so the nick is on top of or behind the unwinding the thread.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 AM

I'm always amazed at how many things you have to do to fix stitching problems. I usually start from the beginning. I take the thread out and re-thread, I clean out the bobbin area and re-thread the bobbin, and I change my needle. I also check my tension dials to make sure I haven't inadvertently changed the tension while sewing.

Hope you found your problem and your are sewing swiftly now.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 AM

have you tried rethreading it. sometimes it is as simple as threading it wrong.