Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to teach an 8 year old to sew? >

How to teach an 8 year old to sew?

How to teach an 8 year old to sew?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 AM

Default How to teach an 8 year old to sew?

I have been asked to teach an eight year old from church how to sew. Any suggestions where or how to start? I have been sewing for 35 years but would appreciate input of starter projects and basic thoughts.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 AM

When I teach a kid to sew, the first thing they need to learn is to run the sewing machine. I draw lines on a piece of paper and let them stitch on it. One sheet of paper has straight lines. The next has squares so they learn to put the needle down and pivot and the next one is a coil so they learn to sew curves. Then we make something simple like a can coozie or a pillow care. Kids will tell you what they want to make. Let her chose the fabrics. If she doesn't like the fabric, sewing will not hold her interest. Some things will look good together and some won't but it is her choice. I taught kids classes at the LQS for a few summers. I never heard "I can't do that" from a kid...only the adults. There are lots of beginner friendly patterns on line. Just google for simple sewing patterns.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 AM

I'm about to do the same with a 7 year old, I have been thinking that a pillowcase would be our first real project, after doing some test sewing on scraps. I want to teach her how to thread the machine but I'm not going to worry about teaching her how to clean it or change feet or needles yet.

She also has a lot of fairy dolls, so I was thinking if the pillowcase goes well we could do some mini "quilts" for her fairies. (I'm thinking just 2 pieces of fabric "birthed" to make a blanket with some decorative stitches to "quilt" it together - no batting or binding.)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 AM

I agree, keep it simple. A pillowcase, fabric of her own choosing is a great place to start. Most beginners are interested in a finished product... not making it top quality.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

My niece learned how to sew on a sewing machine we got her for Christmas last year. She was going to be 10 in Feb. She learned some sewing on her Gma's machine but when she got her own, she needed to know how her machine worked if she wanted to sew at will. It was pretty simple and she cleans her machine before and after in case she forgets. I had a few striped fabric scraps so she could keep in line. She made a couple drawstring pouches and went on to make some pillows and a small baby quilt for a friend. Gma and I helped her with that. That little guy carries that quilt every where. Her machine is a zig zag so she can decorate with them a little. She has been visiting gma a lot because Gma's machine is a little bigger and more decorative stitches. Gma also has a FW at her disposal and she loves to use it. She got her mother to download the manual for it. I think starting them on striped fabric scraps was more fun and actually gave them the satisfaction of actually making something when finished. Paper just shows them to stay on the line or in between. Fabric won't tear like paper will and they can take the fabric home to show others their progress.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:59 AM

I let my g-granddaughter who are seven and eleven make pillowcases last summer. The 11-yr. old has sewn before but the little on hadn't. I let them pick two fabrics from my stash for the case and trim. They did a great job and we were all so proud of the because they even did French seams with not too much help from me. \
When I let the oldest girl sew for the first time, I made her use the wheel, because I didn't trust her with the foot peddle.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM

When I was in 4-H, beginners were started by hemming a kitchen towel then a simple gathered apron. Those probably would not be interesting to today's girls. Pillowcases sound great for beginners.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 AM

My granddaughters will be 10 & 12 this month. We have made simple skirts with elastic waists, sundresses, nightgowns, pillowcases. I did the lines on paper with them, potholders are also easy.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
When I teach a kid to sew, the first thing they need to learn is to run the sewing machine. I draw lines on a piece of paper and let them stitch on it. One sheet of paper has straight lines. The next has squares so they learn to put the needle down and pivot and the next one is a coil so they learn to sew curves. Then we make something simple like a can coozie or a pillow care. Kids will tell you what they want to make. Let her chose the fabrics. If she doesn't like the fabric, sewing will not hold her interest. Some things will look good together and some won't but it is her choice. I taught kids classes at the LQS for a few summers. I never heard "I can't do that" from a kid...only the adults. There are lots of beginner friendly patterns on line. Just google for simple sewing patterns.
This is how I have taught my grandkids, ages 6 & 8, since they were 3 years old on several of my machines. They love it. Their attentions spans have varied according to their ages. Enjoy them. It is so rewarding teaching the next generation to sew. Hint: try keep your hands locked behind your back once you know they are operating the machine safely and can follow your verbal instructions, especially... 'stop'.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I learned by using a set of washcloths and made them into slippers! I remember it well. I chose orange washcloths! To get them to work I also had to put in elastic and sew that too. I wore those things until they had holes in them.