Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pressing seams open??? >

pressing seams open???

pressing seams open???

Old 11-04-2014, 04:55 AM

I press my seams open all the time...find the blocks lay flatter for me that way. I have a little plastic 'pressing tool' thing that I picked up in JAF some time ago. Most times I just use my fingers but if there are stubborn spots, this thing does save on scorched fingers.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I have seen this http://www.thestripstick.com/ and am going to make one for the next time I make a OBW which needs all the seams pressed open.
I have a set of these and they are GREAT. I totally recommend them.

I hated pressing seams open for all the same reasons as you, quiltlady. I tried the silicone finger guards (just made me clumsy). I tried the wooden pressing stick (was a hassle and nothing stayed flat). I tried finger-pressing (worked, but tedious and slow and still needed heat-pressing after). These strip sticks are such a simple thing but they made me go from absolutely hating to press seams open to being totally OK with pressing seams open. I can't say I ENJOY it, but I'm a lot less annoyed and scorched when I do it now!

I was going to make my own but then I think Nancy's Notions had them on sale and I bought them. So glad I did, otherwise I'd still be "going to make them". I got 3 sizes and I use all three of them all the time. One of my best "bang-for-the-buck" notion purchases I've made!

I just lay them under the seam and quickly run my fingers down the sides of the stick to flatten the fabric against it. The seams naturally part open a little bit, enough that I can nudge the tip of my iron between them and then it's easy to just press down on the seam. That opens up the next section a little more...move iron over, press again. Goes quick and easy and my fingers get nowhere near the iron plate. And the seams STAY flat. Brilliant!

Edit to add: just re-read my post and figured I better add - I'm not associated with the company that makes these in any way, just a happy customer.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Why is the pattern calling for open seams?? Usually I only open them to prevent any bulk from occurring on a quilt where seams meet. I just got a steam burn on my index finger but the next day, it was fine, thank goodness.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 11-04-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM

I use a lightweight sleeve ham. I put the seam over the top of the ham right sides down. The weight of the material makes it such that there isn't any mess, tuck, ripple, or whatever. Perfect and no need to get my fingers in the way. also better for my arthritis.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I'm having a problem with pressing the seams open and I keep burning my finger
Don't use your finger!

There are plenty of tools laying around your house that you can use. A Popsicle stick, a chop stick.... my favorite item is a curved cuticle pusher.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM

I use half of a wooden clothes peg. Works for me.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 AM

I use the shank from one of my daughter's old pointe shoes to run down the seam after setting it. Nothing like a recycle to get the job done.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks ladies, I am really hating this quilt...

I am not using steam just a dry iron but every time I run my finger along the seam to open it I burn my finger... I must not be coordinated because this pressing the seam open is a real pain more ways then one... I will try the stick thing and some of the other stuff you ladies told me about... I just want this quilt done! I really don't know why the seams have to be pressed open but I figured that I would follow the directions for once...and now have two burned fingers GRRRR,, but this will pass....as soon as the quilt is done.. just glad it is only a baby quilt so it's not to big... Thanks again...
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
Thanks ladies, I am really hating this quilt...

I am not using steam just a dry iron but every time I run my finger along the seam to open it I burn my finger... I must not be coordinated because this pressing the seam open is a real pain more ways then one... I will try the stick thing and some of the other stuff you ladies told me about... I just want this quilt done! I really don't know why the seams have to be pressed open but I figured that I would follow the directions for once...and now have two burned fingers GRRRR,, but this will pass....as soon as the quilt is done.. just glad it is only a baby quilt so it's not to big... Thanks again...
Are you burning your finger on hot fabric, or are you burning your finger with your iron? I paid attention to how I was doing this today. I press my seam to set, with the two fabrics still together. Then I open the two sewn together pieces, place them on the ironing board right side down, separate the beginning of the seam allowances with my finger, pressing all the way down to the ironing board surface with my finger in just that first spot. I then lift up and move my finger about 1/2 to 1 inch away while placing the point of the iron onto the first spot I finger pressed open, and press all the way down to the ironing board surface with my finger in the second spot. I just keep advancing down the seam this way -- lift up finger, and put it down again an inch away while pressing the place my finger was previously with the point of the iron. The finger is never on hot fabric, and it's never close enough to the iron to be burned. I'm not clear on just how you're burning your finger. Are you trying to work too quickly?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM

seam stick or pressing stick