Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother 770 Embroidery Machine >

Brother 770 Embroidery Machine

Brother 770 Embroidery Machine

Old 11-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Default Brother 770 Embroidery Machine

I am considering this machine and wonder if anyone has this machine and how you like it. Also, can it be used to quilt with the embroidery designs? If yes, how cumbersome is it? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 AM

I have one! I haven't used it a lot and it's my first embroidery machine so I don't know how it compares to other machines, but so far it's a solid machine and all of my bad embroidery have been caused by me making mistakes (using wrong stabilizer, etc.). I had some thread shredding issues at first but switched thread brands (was using cheap poly from Joann's) and that fixed it - so don't go too cheap on your thread and try a spool or two before buying a whole rainbow.

I bought my machine from Amazon and it was ready to go right out of the box; I didn't have to fiddle with tension or anything. The needle threader on there is great, better than the one on my Janome 6600.

I used it recently for some fairies I embroidered onto quilt blocks (before they were quilted), and I plan to use it more for some Christmas gifts soon. (embroidering tea towels)

I've heard you can use it to do quilting but I don't know how, never done that before. Does seem like it'd be pretty cumbersome, but maybe not if you were doing a "quilt as you go" style quilt and doing it a block at a time. The space I have mine set up in would not work for cramming a whole quilt into the machine anyway; I had to sort of tuck it into a corner.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:37 AM

I have one also and haven't used it a lot but just retired and hope to have lots of time to play with it. Have embroidered about 20 designs and have had zero problems with it. Very easy to thread and directions are easy to follow. For the price I think this is a super buy
Old 11-12-2014, 07:39 AM

I have one but just recently pulled it out of the box, so have only made a small 'trial' design with it. So far, it seems easy to operate. The only downside (so far) is the built-in designs (fonts, in particular) leave a bit to be desired. Should be easy enough to download some new ones, though. I also wish I'd gone ahead and ordered a 4x4 hoop for it, when I ordered the machine. It comes with a 5x7 one which is fine, but requires a larger piece of fabric/stabilizer, even if the design is small.

It's a good-sized machine but not especially heavy, so easy to move. Mine is sitting on the end of my dining table.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Banned

if you're going to buy it on Amazon, also look at the Designio 820. It's the exact same machine as the PE770 just a different color and comes with lots more stuff. It's a little more expensive, but the extra hoops and other supplies it comes with are more than worth the extra cost. My BFF bought the 820 and loves it.

Cari
Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

I bought it about a yr ago. I didn't know I needed a program on my computer to read deigns and to import designs.
The design on the screen is just a blob, so if you have more than one design on your memory stick, you may have to finagle and figure it out. that is my major complaint about it. If you have room, I guess you could load up your quilt into a 5 x 7 or 4 x 4 hoop and have it quilt the area.
Be sure to ck out Smartneedle for they're great designs and Urban threads also. both have different things than
Embroidery Library. Emb lib has reasonable priced embs, and free ones every few weeks. good luck and let us know how it's working out for you.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM

I have the new Dream Machine. It has a lot of bells and whistles but as far as basic embroidery goes they work the same. I have quilted with it. Anitagooddesigns has some quilting designs that work great. To quilt just load your design in the machine, hoop the quilt sandwich, you donot need stabilizer and let the machine do its thing. The thread in the bobbin should match your backing or be the same as your top thread. You want a machine that uses at least a 5 x 7 hoop as there are not many 4 x 4 designs. Once you start doing embroidery you will love it.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 AM

This is a link to free software. You can look at your designs, etc. They will show up in the .art format but can be changed to whatever format you need. You will go to the SAVE AS option and it will allow you to save in the format you need. Again, this is a free software from OESD. I love their embroidery designs.

http://oesdartsizer.com/
Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 AM

I got one last year for Christmas and I love it. It was very easy to use. I did watch some YouTube tutorials.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:51 AM

Thank you so much to everyone who responded - the information is very helpful and will certainly help my decision.