Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you want for christmas? >

What do you want for christmas?

What do you want for christmas?

Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 AM

Here is a thread that I started a while back that may contain some good gift ideas:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilty-prize-would-make-you-want-buy-raffle-ticket-t252016.html

I recently bought the magnification glasses for our raffle and there was a lot of interest in them:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...alOzdLFqcnXF5Q
Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
For your mum, how about a gadget that is a long-handled magnet so she can pick up pins and needles off the floor without having to bend so far over? I'm not sure there is one (I haven't looked) but I would love to have one if available.

Or can you sit with her and browse some favorite online shops ?
There is such a thing! I have one...inherited it from my Dad! I'm thinking it came from Harbor Freight, Big Lots, or a similar place. I would think it was under $5.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Brother has a small sewing machine with 70 stitches on sale for $199 that I can take to my BOM classes and my darling brother who won $20,000 gave me the money to buy it. He also bought me a new black case for one of my featherweight for my birthday which is December 11th and gave it to me early so I can take it to my buddy's house when she and I sew. He is the BEST brother and no I'm now sharing him hahaha
Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Best gift my sister and I ever gave my Mom was organizing her sewing room. We spent two days folding, moving clearing out , etc. We purchased some lighting and a table , because after we cleared the room of the "stuff" it became apparent she needed more surface area. We also purchased some tall cabinets with doors. She has a good amount of fabric that had been damaged from too much direct sun light. At first she was a bit resistant, but now she is so proud of her tidy "new" space.
I know I would love it if someone gave me some of their time to help organize my space. It can feel like such a huge project when you tackle it by yourself.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM

One year, I suggested to my mother that she pick a color and buy me a bunch of fat quarters in that color. Best gift I ever got! This year, I would love a 12.5" square ruler to square up blocks, and a new cutting board. Could you please speak to Santa for me?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM

I asked Hubby for a kit from the new Royal Tea line at Connecting Threads. Sometimes it's just fun to just have everything you need in front of you without pulling out dozens of fabrics, etc. from your stash. Their kits are affordable and you can just enjoy the sewing process. Your Mom would have a nice remembrance from you if she chose to keep the completed kit or it would make a lovely gift for someone if she chose to pass it on.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
I agree with ManiacQuilter2 -- if you can take her out on a little quilt day, maybe have lunch somewhere --that will mean more to her than anything. Time spent with loved ones is the best gift.
Excellent idea! Also sometimes you have the best adventures this way
Old 11-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by scrapngmom View Post
One thing that is small, but was a wonderful gift to me was a Needle Threader. As I get older it gets harder and harder for me to hit that hole. It is the type where you drop the needle with the hole down, you pull the thread across and push a lever and WALA, the needle is threaded.
I saw Jenny demonstrate that one on Missouri Star Quilt Co. too. That would be a great gift.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 PM

I love gift cards! You can get what you really want and there is nothing better than choosing items, going to the checkout and not having to pay out of your own pocket. It's a gift every time you buy something.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:52 PM

zozee--retractable magnetic wands are available. I have one. use it every time I sew.
Sorry I can't remember where I bought it, it's been several years now. Just thought
I'd let you know they are available though. I think it cost around $5. Good luck finding
one. Don't know what I'd do without it with my bad knees. Hugs, Sharon