Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!!  Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd >

Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd

Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd

Old 11-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Molasses Cookies

Combine dry ingredients:
4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

Cream together:
1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
3/4 to 1 c. molasses

Combine dry and creamed ingredients. Put in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Roll into 1" balls and roll in sugar.
Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-7 minutes.
Oh! Oh! These are some of my favorite cookies. Thanks for posting. Today is a good day to bake some cookies and these are the ones!
12 PM sounds good to me. 15 more days!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 AM

So the house we've been leasing got sold. Last Saturday, the 15th, the old owner called and said that Because we wouldn't agree to continue to lease at the price the new owner was asking he apparently threatened to postpone closing on the 25th. My husband, the nice guy that he is, offered for us to move by the 23rd. Seven days.....can I say OMGOSH!!!!!! We'd been looking at new places closer to my daughter for some time but I truly thought I'd have 30 days. No. Well it looks like we pulled it off. It's a miracle and I know has been guided by God. Too many things have happened to sustain me in this knowledge. NEEDLESS TO SAY..... my Secret Santa box is hidden. My two daughters have pact to have our new place (which I LOVE) put together this week before my other daughter arrives for a month holiday while her Air Force husband has training in San Angelo. I'm hoping my Santa box is recovered by the 7th.... I'm thinking of offering them a reward!!! The two pictures are how the movers left my office/sewing room and dining room on Friday. Do you think there's hope of said Secret Santa box recovery..... I plan on helping the girls but I also MUST finish two quilts my sweet husband also promised as Eagle Scout prizes. The court of honor is the 27th... I have the tops done and the backs ready and even got the binding sewn and pressed before Fridays moving craziness. I didn't get them sandwiched, so that's needed. Then quilt and bind.... Calgon take me away!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	499974   Click image for larger version

Views:	174
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	499975   Click image for larger version

Views:	175
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	499976   Click image for larger version

Views:	173
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	499977   Click image for larger version

Views:	165
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	499978  

Click image for larger version

Views:	204
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	499979  
Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Were driving to the old house for a last cleaning and walk through. I thought I'd add a cinnamon roll recipe our family likes.

Cinnamon Rolls

Use Gold Medal Wondra flour or bread flour

Dissolve 2 Tablespoons of dry yeast in 1 cup scalded milk
(you can scald milk in microwave for 1 ½ minutes in microwave)
Add ¼ cup margarine while milk is hot

Then add 2 beaten eggs, 1 tsp salt, ½ cup sugar, and about 3 1/2 cups flour
Use ½ cup flour for kneading

Turn onto floured counter and knead into a smooth elastic dough.
Put dough in buttered bowl, butter the top of the dough, cover and let rise until double in size.
Punch down, cover and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
Shape into rolls, let rise in a pan sprayed with PAM until light, bake in 425 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

To shape rolls, roll out 12” wide rectangle and spread with softened butter leaving 1” on the long edge butter free, spread the filling – dab the butter free edge with water just before rolling up like a jelly roll – use a string of sewing thread to cut the jelly roll into slices

Basic filling – spread soft brown sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon and add raisins or chopped nuts

Icing – mix ½ cube of margarine, 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract, 2 Tbsp milk, and enough powder sugar to make the frosting the desired consistency – about 2 to 3 cups – frost rolls 4 minutes out of the oven
Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 AM

And this is our FAVORITE chocolate pie recipe!!

Chocolate Almond Pie

20 Large marshmallows
8 oz bar of Hershey Almond chocolate bar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup milk
Chocolate pie crust or pie crust of choice

In double boiler, melt marshmallows in milk. Remove from heat. Add all the chocolate BUT one square. Melt into marshmallow mixture. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until cool.

Whip 1 cup of cream. Fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Poor into your pie crust. Refrigerate 3 hours.

Whip remaining cream with 1 T powdered sugar until peaks form. Pour onto top of pie. Grate remaining piece of chocolate and sprinkle over pie top.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM

the package i sent is in the mail and i hope the reciepent gets it soon
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM

Wow SheriR........again ..... wow! It sounds like you have indeed been through an amazing time....and still have time to post some recipes. All the very very best for health, happiness and prosperity in your new place !!!

Your chocolate pie brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes.

My Gram ALWAYS made chocolate pie at every holiday (hers was done with from scratch chocolate cornstarch pudding) - and although i have made many other of her recipes over the years - for some reason - even though she's been gone for almost 20 years - her chocolate and her cherry pies are two that i have just not been able to bring myself to make....just thinking about them brings tears. Stupid of me, i know, but there it is. I think making your recipe might just get me past that.....so thanks very much.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marilyn43 View Post
Where do you ladies find your projects for sewing? I was looking for different books on the computer today for bazars and couldn't find anything. I'd like to get started making smaller projects to have on hand.
Marilyn, sorry about your dizziness. Sometimes medication causes that so be sure to tell your doctor.

Pinterest is a great place to get ideas. I get lost there just looking and looking, pinning and following links... til lots of time has gone by! There are tons of sewing and craft pins.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Been a interesting weekend. Don't want to touch much today, so far have split coffee into the clean and full dishwasher and then broke 2 needles. Time to do something else. So here is my contrubution to the cookbook.

Date Fry Pan Rice Krispie Cookie
1 stick margarine ( I use butter) ¼ lb.
¾ C. white sugar
1 Lb. Dates ( Cut-up)
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. milk (or ½ & ½ or heavy cream whatever you have on hand)
½ tsp salt
½ to ¾ cup chopped nuts ( I use walnuts, use whatever you like)
2 C. Rice Krispies
1 tsp. Vanilla
Coconut for rolling balls 6 to 8 oz.

Cook sugar, dates & margarine or butter over medium low heat in frying pan until melted and thick. Heavy cast iron pan is best or any regular pan. Note: A non-stick pan does not make this easier.
Once thick remove from heat and allow date mixture to cool a bit, in a small bowl beat egg milk salt and vanilla until mixed. When the mixture in pan has cooled but is still mixable, add egg mixture and return to heat, cook until thick and creamy about 4 to 5 minutes. (Should look light and fluffy, and should be easy to stir.) Remove from heat and add nuts stir well, add cereal and stir until combined. When cool enough to handle grease hands (I just grab a bead of butter) and form into balls then roll in coconut. Size of balls is up to person making them. I have made them from size of moth balls to size of golf balls. These freeze well and keep in refrigerator for weeks. I have made them almost every Christmas for over 30 years.

Kahlua

3 C. Water Warm
6 C. Sugar
2 oz. instant coffee
3 Tbs. Vanilla extract
4 C. Vodka

In pan over medium heat combine water and coffee stir until dissolved, add sugar stir until sugar is dissolved and comes to a boil, let cook two minutes on low boil. Let cool completely, add Vodka and Vanilla. Best if left to mature for a few weeks. (If you can let it alone.)

Weather was nice and warm for the last 2 days, driving past the lakes today was strange, fog over all the water looked kind of cool. Unfortunately when the temp starts to drop it is going to fall for the next 24 hours. Glad my DH got the lights up yesterday and finished all the outside stuff for winter. Prayers of all those who are in pain.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:33 PM

Oh Dedemac, a friend of mine gave me a recipe very similar to this one. (Date balls)
They are sooooooooooo good. Just a warning, you may eat way more than you should in one sitting. Pace yourselves.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Oh Dedemac, a friend of mine gave me a recipe very similar to this one. (Date balls)
They are sooooooooooo good. Just a warning, you may eat way more than you should in one sitting. Pace yourselves.
That is why I make them small then limit myself to 3, two bites each. Don't want to know how many calories. Also they are great frozen!