Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always label your quilts? >

Do you always label your quilts?

Do you always label your quilts?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 AM

A simple way to label without having to make or buy labels is to write your name and year on the binding. If you have printing capability on your machine you can use that. That takes a little practice but it is not as removable as a label and discourages stealing.

Last edited by danlynmartin; 11-27-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 11-27-2014, 07:48 AM

ALL of them get a label
Old 11-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Funny thing is that I've bought stuff for labels - preprinted yardage, stencils, even bothered to do a custom Spoonflower design and got test prints done and they turned out just fine. I have Pigma pens and paint sticks and an embroidery machine so I have tons of options for labels right on hand. But like others have said, I think it feels like vanity to me, so I haven't actually used any of those things. Plus I'm never sure what to put on there...it just seems to go on and on and that seems weird to me too. My name, their name, the date, the location, the event, some slogan or poem... I don't know where to stop and it starts to feel more like a luggage tag than a label! Obviously I don't HAVE to put all that stuff on there, but just trying to figure out what to include and exclude feels tiresome to me so I just stop thinking about it and the quilt goes out unlabeled.

I don't usually sign my artwork either, though. And if I do, it's with a Sanskrit character that represents one of my middle names, not with words, and I try to hide it within the drawing/painting so it's only visible if you really look for it, or I'll put something on the back. Maybe I should start including that little symbol on my quilts instead; I could embroider or draw it somewhere subtle. Not that it'd be helpful to quilt historians, but I don't really think any of my quilts are going to be historically important.

Maybe it's simply that I quilt for fun, and labels just aren't fun for me so I skip that part.

That is a very good idea, hiding your name in artwork. That gives you a sort of logo type signature that is just you.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:21 AM

I do the same thing except I embroider them on my machine and back the with same fabric as the front.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 AM

I've only labeled one. It was a wedding gift for my cousin's oldest son. I used a Pigma pen, but wasn't crazy about how it looked. Wish I had a machine with a font for embroidering one, but I won't be getting one any time soon. I have an ink jet printer, but I'm afraid to run fabric through on freezer paper because plain paper jams are really hard to get out of it. I gotta figure out something because almost all my quilts are gifts.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:14 AM

I found a booklet of iron on labels which is currently in parts unknown since DD cleared the table for dinner today, so I will give the name when I find it, but the best part is I got an iron on pencil to redo the lines as the iron on fades so I have labels forever. I also found a set of permanent fabric pens at Walmart, to color them with and write on them so my labels have just gotten easy Peasy.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Great ideas here that I will need to I implement. I love the one from LaLaLand to make up labels ahead of time, I'm going to set that as a goal. It will make it so much easier when I get a quilt finished! And putting the triangle in the corner, I've heard of that before but forgotten it. Or adding a square into the binding and then only having to close up 2 sides...brilliant! Thanks!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I try to label my quilts, especially if I am making the quilt as a gift or I'm making it for someone who is going to gift the quilt. I also label the family reunion quilts that I make to establish the date it was made and what year. Last year my oldest niece was nice enough to long arm quilt the family reunion quilt, so I did the top, then shipped to her in KS, along with a label giving her credit for the quilting. I don't always label wall hangings, but maybe I should. I used to think that I would remember when I made the quilts, but that's not the case, so it's for my benefit as well as whoever gets the quilt.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by donac View Post
One thing I read about making labels is to include your maiden name so if it is a family quilt they know what side of the family it comes from. For me who took my dh's name 37 years ago I thought this was a good idea. It is the only place I use my maiden name.
This is such a good idea! Thanks for posting it. I do believe I will do this from now on. It's keeps our maiden name alive!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM

I label all my quilts, except the ones I give to the guild for charity. The guild adds a generic label, because they don't want to give out members' names.

I do 3 methods: originally I used to just use the printable fabric label and sew it on, but now (still using printable fabric for 99% of my labels) I either include the label as part of the backing, or I fuse it on and then sew it on (I place it in the lower right corner, so it gets sewn in the binding).