Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double batting >

Double batting

Double batting

Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Default Double batting

I am sandwiching a quilt for my dad today that I hope to be extra, extra warm. I really would prefer to use a wool batting but I do not have any at home and I do not want to deal with traffic or crowds on this Black Friday! Instead I have two cotton battings. Also note that I plan to tie the quilt with yarn and it has a flannel top and back. Should I use both battings? If so, do you have any tips? Is it going to be too challenging to tie? Am I going to be a bloody mess at the end of this thing? Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:28 AM

I use two battings frequently. Instead of tying,why not use your machine to stitch 2 or 3 stitches to tack in place?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 AM

I frequently use a double batting , but use one layer cotton one of poly . The poly is a warmer layer . The problem is fitting a bed size quilt with two batting into a regular machine. The sandwich roll is quite thick and dense. As stated earlier,consider machine tacking a double batted quilt.... Your back and neck will thank -you for it.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:31 AM

I've used 2 layers of W&N and hand quilted that puppy. Would NOT recommend that adventure for the faint-hearted. But I think you should be fine tieing 2 layers. If you have a curved upholstery needle, I'd suggest using that to work through all over your layers if you can. Plus the eye's are larger on those needles if you're using yarn. And save yourself - use a thimble to push. Even if thimbles are uncomfortable for you - use it! Your fingers will thank you in the long run.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have never used 2 layers of batting. If you are going to quilt it on your machine, I would certainly try a small sample sandwich to see if your machine can handle the thickness.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM

The tip on tieing is a good one. I have a king size I'm trying to double batt and even with my 9" throat on my machine there's really no good way to get to the center of that quilt. I'll be tying it, even though my DH says he doesn't like tied quilts. I'll just use matching thread and pull the ties to the back and he'll never, ever notice. LOL.

I second the curved needle, too. That's what my gran always used and it works great.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

What brand and type of cotton batting? Since you are tying the quilt, you need battings that have been needlepunched so the batting does not come apart inside with washing and use. I already find one layer of Warm and Natural (needlepunched through scrim) too heavy; cannot imagine actually using a quilt with two layers of Warm and Natural in it. Two layers of Quilter's Dream cotton (needlepunched, but not through scrim) might work, though.