Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks? >

Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks?

Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks?

Old 11-29-2014, 04:36 PM

I don't feel super qualified to answer this but if you decided to not take a chance with washing some, you could frame them, or a couple of them. There are some nice looking wall arrangements in embroidery hoops, and smaller regular frames that I've seen.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would not prewash because there are too many risks. Fabric shrinks differently when washed on its own compared to when it is first quilted to a batting and backing and then washed. Once quilted moderately, the batting takes over and prevents fabrics from shrinking outrageously; in other words, the batting stabilizes and moderates the shrinkage of the fabrics.

Risk is also added because you are dealing with both applique and embroidery. If the background fabric shrinks in a disproportionate way (old fabrics can shrink much more in one grainline direction than another, for example), the applique and embroidery may become distorted. If you wait until the background fabric has been quilted, the shapes and forms of the applique and embroidery will be preserved.

Some of the dyes may bleed when washed, but this can be controlled by the way you wash the finished quilt. The best way is to use Synthrapol (suspends unset dye particles in water so they don't settle into other fabrics) and ***lots*** of water to adequately dilute any dye bleeds. The easiest way to do t

his is in a top-loading washing machine. Fill with water, stop the machine to prevent machine agitation, hand agitate, advance the machine to spin to spin out the water, etc. Refill and re-spin as necessary until the water runs clear, then immediately lay out flat to dry (you do not want wet fabric to remain in contact with wet fabric).

Another advantage to quilting before washing is that the batting and backing layers add stability to what may be slightly fragile block fabrics.
Some recent fabrics will also shrink a lott more in one direction than another.

I would hand wash the blocks (with color catchers if you think some of the fabrics might be iffy for color fastness) and lay them on towels or a rack for drying. Then I would know - for sure - what I have to work with.

As far as batting controlling the behavior of the top and backing - it may - to my mind it' s like wearing a bra and control pantyhose to improve stability. Take them off and what do I get?

I prefer to know each component will be well behaved on its own.

Yes, you might end up with a mess. But I would rather have a mess at the beginning of the process than after I had spent hours and hours on a project.

I prefer a flat look - so I also shrink the battings that can be shrunk. Also, if you use a batting that does not shrink and one of the blocks had severe shrinkage, that might create an uneven look.

What you do might also depend on how you plan to hold the layers together. Tieing? Moderate quilting? Super dense quilting?

What kind of look do you want?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some recent fabrics will also shrink a lott more in one direction than another.

I would hand wash the blocks (with color catchers if you think some of the fabrics might be iffy for color fastness) and lay them on towels or a rack for drying. Then I would know - for sure - what I have to work with.

As far as batting controlling the behavior of the top and backing - it may - to my mind it' s like wearing a bra and control pantyhose to improve stability. Take them off and what do I get?

I prefer to know each component will be well behaved on its own.

Yes, you might end up with a mess. But I would rather have a mess at the beginning of the process than after I had spent hours and hours on a project.

I prefer a flat look - so I also shrink the battings that can be shrunk. Also, if you use a batting that does not shrink and one of the blocks had severe shrinkage, that might create an uneven look.

What you do might also depend on how you plan to hold the layers together. Tieing? Moderate quilting? Super dense quilting?

What kind of look do you want?
i plan to do a moderate amount of hand quilting for this project. I am using the blocks to make a large throw...bigger than a normal throw but smaller than a twin-size quilt. I'm not looking for a flat look.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 AM

I finally finished my quilt using my gandma's blocks from the 1930's. I used new fabric, 80/20 batting - nothing pre-washed. After finishing the quilt, I washed it on gentle cycle with two color catcher (nothing "caught" ☺️) - it came out beautifully!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	535384  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Your quilt came out beautifully! I love the colors.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't wash them. Things start to get out of shape and seams will start to unravel when not washed as a finished quilt.