Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storage Ideas for Rulers ??? >

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Karen G View Post
I use a letter holder, on clearance at Staples for my long rulers and the smaller rulers that I use often. For the specialty rulers I use a dollar store basket. The instructions go in there, too.
I do the same. I found a kind-of step-stair tiered clear plastic letter holder at one of the office supply stores. There are about 4 slots, each raised about an inch from the one below, and about an inch deep. I keep it along side the cutting board, along a wall. Holds a bunch of the rulers, the larger ones to the highest, closest to the wall, the smaller ones down in front. Directions for any and all rulers go into a file folder, stashed behind the rack.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:46 AM

I have two of those slotted wooden ruler holder. I really don't like them. I guess I have too many rulers...lol I have the wooden ruler holders on a shelf in my sewing room closet. My GF has her rulers on peg board, so last week my DH picked up a sheet of pegboard for me at Home Depot. This week he will be mounting the pegboard to hang my rulers and other items so they will be right at my fingertips.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 AM

I have a slotted board that fits in the areas beneath my cutting table, I store the long rulers there. I have a stand up slotted board to the back of my sewing table and I store the specialty rulers (i.e.; fussy cut, piping trimmer) on that and for the small rulers that are so easily lost in the mad shuffle of sewing, I hang on my pegboard.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Before we moved to an apt., I had a pegboard beside my sewing table where I hung up my rulers. However, since we moved DH will not let me hang anything on the wall, not even any wall hangings.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I use Command hooks to hand them on the side of my fridge (I sew in the kitchen) but you can put them on a wall or the side of your sewing cabinet.
I have a "dead space" between wall shelves and a window. So I attached the hooks as high up as I could reach with the longest ruler and as far down as I could place the shorter rulers. DH drilled holes in a couple of rulers that didn't have holes for hanging. I haven't solved the problem of storing triangles, squares, etc.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I hang mine on the wall also, although I just use small nails (brads) and pound them in wherever convenient! I have the ones I use most right over my cutting table. I also have a letter holder for the square rulers on a nearby dresser. This has worked great for me!
I also hang mine on nails, but went one further. I bought a metal yardstick and DH put a hole at the end that did not have one, so that I could hang it vertically, now if I need to check the size of a piece of fabric for a certain pattern, I just hold it to the yard stick to measure. Much quicker than anthing else I have tried.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM

I used Command hooks to hang them off the CD Cabinet I use for my thread and supplies. It backs up to my cutting table, so it makes it convenient.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM

I bought some plastic chain and clips..hung the chain from the ceiling and then hung rulers on it..tucks away in a corner nicely, but at the same time all of my rulers are easy to see and grab when I need them.

Here are the clips I used...they have hooks on top so you can hang them from a chain

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dangler-Cl...ickel/35669983
Old 11-30-2014, 05:13 PM

Here is a plastic mesh one I made with pockets for various sizes of rulers.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM

I just bought a metal rod and S hooks at IKEA. I am going to hang them on the wall. Hubby hasn't put the rod up yet as our out-of-town company just left. I am looking forward to getting them hung up because they keep falling out of the wooden racks.