Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one) >

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I've bought a few vintage ones off ebay, that were very satisfactory, and one at an estate sale, lovely, and one from a customer cleaning out his mom's estate. I've never paid more than $100.00 though. Like many hand crafted items, I can't afford to pay what they are worth, and can't justify quilt stuff when I have a stash.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 AM

A few years ago I was at a yard sale and the young man who was having it told me his mom had made several quilted things that he didn't want anymore. She had made a beautiful water color wall hanging and some table runners and when I asked him how much, he said everything was $2 each. So I bought all the quilted things he had and told him they were worth much more but he said he just wanted to get rid of a bunch of stuff and his wife didn't want them either. Makes you wonder what happens to the quilted stuff we give away as gifts.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 AM

Yes, I bought one over 10 years ago that I still use on my bed and I bought one at an auction 7 years ago. Since I started quilting 6 years ago, I haven't purchased a quilt - I figure that if I really want one, regardless of the pattern or technique used on it, I can figure out how to do it, if I want it bad enough!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM

No...I have more quilts than I know what to do with already! I have many quilts from each of my grandmothers; some are still strong and in use, others are delicate and only unfolded so that I can refold them differently. Plus all the scrappy ones I've made for myself.

I love looking at other people's quilts, but I don't want to become responsible for any of them.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 AM

Oh my yes...two soft green hand quilted whole clothes ........queen size...from an estate sale...in perfect condition. For $ 5.00 each....and this last summer another estate sale a beautiful soft pink and lite green rose of Sharon hand quilted by Amish...the tag stayed....again queen sized...got that beauty on last day of sale for 1/2price..$40.00...... Again never used,it was just lying folded on the floor in a corner....
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 AM

We purchased a quilt when we visited the Amana Colonies, in Iowa. It was a present for my sister-in-law who was the caregiver for my mother-in-law. Expensive but beautiful
Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM

It's really funny that you brought this up. I haven't but would have if I could have afforded it at the time. In fact that is what got me into quilting, I thought I could do it myself cheaper - I wouldn't have to pay for someones labor. BOY if I had only known - it would have been way cheaper to pay 3 times that amount!!! However I wouldn't have this love that I know have
Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 PM

I bought one at an auction many years ago. It was one that my mom had made and I bought it back. I wouldn't have even gone but the auctioneer was certain it was hers and called me. One of my most prized possessions.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of my own quilts. I wouldn't buy any because I am running out of space.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 PM

I don't come from a quilting family, so owning one is a treat. I do make quilts, but haven't been making them long enough to own any myself - except for one. All the others I've made have been gifted away. I'd like to have enough made that I could have them through the house.

The Christmas quilt I bought just made me so happy. I smile every time I see it on my bed. It is a real treasure. I haven't been fortunate enough to come across others at estate sales etc. but if I do, I would certainly buy.