Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you can >

Do you can

Do you can

Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Julie:
I've been canning Apple pie filling for years and it's wonderful. I also can peach pie filling, berry pie filling . It's so easy to whip up a pie when all you have to do is roll out the crust and open a jar of filling.

Mistreated: I would love to have your rhuarb pie filling recipe. This year I will be doing a new volunteer job with our County Fair...supervisor of the NON-4H foods unit and we are in the process of revising the Fair book to add new categories and Pie Filling was one of the categories I wanted to add.

Someone asked for another recipe for jams, jellies and relishes. I have TONS. I make a Pepper & Onion relish that tastes EXACTLY like Harry and David's relish that sells for $4.95 for a half pint! You put the relish over meats of any kind and to use as an appetizer, you mix it with Philly Cream Cheese, microwave for a minute or so and serve with crackers (Wheat Thins are the best).

I also make jams and jelly using Jello , pineapple and zucchini that is delicious. I think I posted that somewhere around here about a year ago.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM

She-Wolf...I, too, can, dry and preserve EVERYTHING every year. I think last year. I keep our kids, grandkids and friends and neighbors in jam, jelly, salsa, etc. every year. I love to cook, can, bake and dry and so I do alot of all of it. I think last year I entered about 30 things in our Fair.

Steve, I understand what you mean about the heat when all the canning stuff is ready to be "put up." I, too, have canned outside and juiced the fruit, berries, etc. and put it in the freezer til fall when the heat from the canning pot feels good in the kitchen on a chilly morning.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
Miranda, we use to use a coleman stove. Worked really well, all the heat stayed outside, and it was cheaper on the gas bill by not using the stove inside.
oh, the old coleman! My parents used to have one we used when I was a kid. That would be the point I'm going for! :D Great idea!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 AM

I make jelly every year from the wild blackberries I pick here in FL. By adding about half cup of either strawberry or raspberry syrup to the mix makes just extra special.
Or, if you are lucky enough to get fresh berries, the combination of any of them makes great jam and jellies

Here is a Heavenly Jam recipe to die for.
1 orange
1/2 lemon
3 peaches
3 pears
3 apples
Remove seeds from orange and lemon, grind in food processer, chop rest of fruit. Add same amount of sugar as fruit, or a little less. Cook rapidly stirring quite frequently until as thick as you like it. Jar it up and enjoy.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SEVENCUBS
Here is a recipe that I use with peaches, blueberries,amd Strawberries.
2 cups of fruit , 1 cup of water, 1 cup of suger, 3 level T. of clear jell 1 box of jello to match flavor of fruit.
lighty suger sliced fruit cook clear jell with water and suger. add jello to clear jell while hot. This is a thick mix and will thin out when fruit is added. Cool clear-jell mix.add fruit then top with cool whip
Note: pie crust is prebaked. I like to make pie crust ahead of time,stick them in the freezer. A lovely summer pie... no oven time :)
Thank you for this recipe, Sevencubs. I think I'll give it a try really soon. I freeze berries and make pies all winter and spring and just before the new fruit is ready I take anything that's left in the freezer from the previous year and use it up. This will be a good time to try your recipe. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by julie
I just started canning again 2 years ago after many years away from it. I can peaches (from Michigan), tomatoes. We get lots of apples from my uncle and I would like to try canning them or apple pie filling. Has anyone ever done this? Does it turn out good? I've seen recipes on the internet, but I'm a little leery. I don't know anyone who has canned apples. I tried freezing them and it's a disappointment, to say the least.
I miss being able to do canning. I would make pickles, jams, jellies, apple butter, pear butter, all sorts of things! Would can everything pretty much I could get my hands on. I would find recipes off the internet and also use BALL'S CANNING BOOK.

I used to make what I called Apple Pie in a Jar.
I would can the apple pie filling, then put that in a basket, include a nice pie pan and a box of pie crust mix and give it at a housewarming gift or for teachers. It was a great hit!
You would make up the crust, then dump in the filling and bake!
I tried it with pumpkin, but didn't come out that well. I ALWAYS make FRESH pumpkin pies, never out of a can. My family is sooo spoiled! They aren't liking life right now because since I can't get fresh pumpkin, that means NO pie! lol
Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 AM

I thought it was time to bring this thread back to life....canning season.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 AM

Buttercream: Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

Canning season IS HERE! I've done canned pie fillings of all kinds..Apricot, blackberry, loganberry, youngberry, peach , cherry and strawberry rhubarb. Jelly/Jam from all the fruit listed above. I'm now making & canning V8 juice, salsa and doing canned tomatoes and BBQ sauce. I've dried garlic, apples, onions, herbs of all kinds, and this morning I have 5 trays of jalapeno peppers drying. When they are done I will dry green peppers. I love harvest time and we live in a place where fruits, veggies and berries grown everywhere. We u-picked at a farm yesterday and got the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen...got 100 pounds at a quarter ($ .25) per POUND! Peppers hot and bell were a 5 gallong bucket for $3.00. Corn on the cob that tastes just like pure candy for $ 1.50 a dozen. Happy canning everyone! let us know what you are doing!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Buttercream: Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

Canning season IS HERE! I've done canned pie fillings of all kinds..Apricot, blackberry, loganberry, youngberry, peach , cherry and strawberry rhubarb. Jelly/Jam from all the fruit listed above. I'm now making & canning V8 juice, salsa and doing canned tomatoes and BBQ sauce. I've dried garlic, apples, onions, herbs of all kinds, and this morning I have 5 trays of jalapeno peppers drying. When they are done I will dry green peppers. I love harvest time and we live in a place where fruits, veggies and berries grown everywhere. We u-picked at a farm yesterday and got the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen...got 100 pounds at a quarter ($ .25) per POUND! Peppers hot and bell were a 5 gallong bucket for $3.00. Corn on the cob that tastes just like pure candy for $ 1.50 a dozen. Happy canning everyone! let us know what you are doing!
You are my hero! Wow! you got a great deal on thse tomatoes, peppers, and corn. Which state do you live in?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

I too can every year. So far, I've done 37 quarts of white potatoes, 24 pints of corn, 26 quarts of veg. soup, and 9 quarts of salsa. Apples will be done in October and anything else I can get my hand on between now and then.