Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Q 24 Long Arm >

Bernina Q 24 Long Arm

Bernina Q 24 Long Arm

Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM

I work at a place that carries Bernina and HandiQuilter. We have opted to NOT get the Bernina quilting machine. After all the problems with the $10,000 Bernina 830 embroidery machines, there is no way we want anything to do with their over-priced, first out quilting machine. Not every Bernina dealer can sell or repair these machines. They have to get a separate dealer license and training to do so.

Have you seen the new Handi Quilter Infinity? Now that is an awesome machine!!! Here's a link... http://www.handiquilter.com/hq_infinity/ It goes 3100 stitches per minute, so there is no way you can out run it. It has the hand wheel control on the screen. It also has the tension control on the screen, and there are pre-sets for different threads. They put a new lighting system on it, called the Light Ring, that puts a ring of led lights just above the needle area. You've also got UV and black lighting, so you can see difficult to see threads. There's even a camera underneath, so you can check the stitch quality on the back, as you quilt. Our HQ rep just came to train us and said their engineers have been working on the Infinity for about 2 years before they announced it in November. You can bet they have the bugs worked out of it before it went to the dealers. Don't think I can say that about the Bernina quilting machine.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM

We were just talking about needles on the Bernina machine and the new HandiQuilter Infinity. Yes, the Bernina quilter takes ordinary needles. However, the HQ engineers put a special needle in their Infinity (can't remember what they're called) because it goes so fast (3100 stitches per minute), that even the regular, round shank HQ needles couldn't hold up to the speed. They put a needle in that has a bend in it, like a tiny stair step.
The Bernina quilter goes 2200 stitches per minute. A regular Bernina machine goes about 900 stitches per minute. I personally don't think a regular needle is a good idea in a a machine that goes that fastl
Old 12-06-2014, 03:19 PM

My dealer told me starting for the 20" is around $14k, the 24" starts around $17k. Of course each dealer is an independent and most times they sell below MSRP. He didn't know about the sit down 20" and I'm not interested in that one anyway. I'm sure it will be less than the 20" with the rails. What I'm waiting for is the computer program to go on the 24". It's like waiting for a pot of water to boil, you think it's never going to happen.

Chris
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM

I heard my dealer talking to someone about this machine as they have one in their shop. The quoted price was $21,000. Wow. I'm not surprised at the price since all the Berninas are pretty pricey. Good luck.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Bernina was sure slow getting on the bandwagon of longarms. I have an old Bernina that I just adore. No major problems but my 1530 is getting up there in age. Oh dear, so am I !!!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 AM

Wowie zowie if it's going to be around $20K for the 24" I'm so out it's not even funny. I'd rather pay $17K for a brand new APQS Millennium...
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 AM

My LQS is swapping out their APQS Millie's for the new Bernina. They allow you to rent time on the longarms if you have taken their certification class. One disadvantage to the Bernina is that the table size is not as long. I had to hurry and complete a king-size quilt (112" x 112") because it wouldn't fit on the new Bernina table. I think the table is only 108" in length. Regardless I was told that my quilt plus backing would not fit on the Bernina table.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Red face

I took delivery of a Q24 in early February and love it. The tension regulator is even better than on the 440QE and the 830. And the frame is incredibly solid, the machine glides like you are driving it through warm butter. the handles are an ergonomic dream, especially for my arthritis. Easy bobbin winding and tension adjustments, very intuitive controls. The poles are over eleven feet long, with a couple of inches beyond sufficient to accommodate the tension grips. I have not tried to put a king size quilt on it, but I think it would handle 120 inches just fine (assuming that's still ten feet). I paid $17.9k.

Last edited by mariejennings; 07-26-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo ...
Old 07-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I got to test drive this machine about a month ago. Like PPQ I found the machine moved wonderfully. I posted a list of pros and cons but now can't find it so I assume the thread must have got deleted for some reason.

I found that the machine was too electronics dependent. It did not appear to offer any way for the owner to do their own maintenance or repairs (such as reset timing, adjust needle bar height, etc). The upper tension disks are not accessible, except to a Bernina Tech, so you can't tweak them manually, all tension adjustments are done via touch screen. The stitch regulator, while delivering a beautiful stitch and more responsive then anything I have ever tested, was laser driven as opposed to encoders that run on the rails. While this at first was very appealing to me, I am concerned that if one of those laser lights goes out you are SOL. I also wonder if Bernina recommends annual servicing on this machine like they do all their others. If so, that is one monstrous task to take a huge machine head off the rack and haul it off to your dealer, then schelp it back and reinstall it. Well I guess some people are ok with that but I would not be.
Some people will love all the high tech electronics, I feel it is way too much to go wrong and put you out of commission for much longer then if you had a mechanical machine with a similar breakdown, that you stand a chance of fixing yourself (like the aforementioned timing). Additionally I did not ask if the warranty would be voided if you quilted for hire. (entirely possible)

So, IMHO, this is not the machine for someone who quilts for hire. It will probably be a great machine for someone who just quilts for themselves and maybe a few friends and family but that is a pretty high price tag for limited use like that. You can get a VERY nice professional LA with stitch regulation, on any size rack from 10 to 14 ft for that price.

Edited to add, I am a huge fan of Bernina. My DSM is a Bernina and I adore it. So I am not trying to dis this LA. Just putting out the items I had concerns about as a professional LAQ.

also found my original post here (post #24):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t265660-3.html

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-27-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:33 PM

I know this post is a couple of years old but I now own a Bernina Q24 and I love it. I have had no issues with using standard needles. I change them at the same rate I changed the round shaft ones. The machine is lightweight so I can easily quilt with one hand while holding a ruler steady with the other. I have the ruler package, the double needle plate & the back handles for pantographs. The only thing I don't have are channel locks. I quilt for myself & others but not continuously. Have had the machine for 5 months. There is currently no programmability. It is all freehand or pantos or templates. I ptetty much do freehand. I traded in a Tin Lizzie ESP18 & am Very happy with the Q24. The only downside is Bernina pricing for all the additions which is typical Bernina...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: remove shouting