Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Q 24 Long Arm >

Bernina Q 24 Long Arm

Bernina Q 24 Long Arm

Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Bernina Q 24 Long Arm

I have come here several times sharing that I've been looking to either upgrade my APQS Ultimate 1 and asked your advice with wonderful response - thank you! I toyed with the idea of switching over to a Handi Quilter Fusion as I think they are great machines with lots of extras to buy (a bonus to me) and great education available...as well as service. Ultimately I was sold by the APQS service and powerful motor and I resigned to upgrade my older machine to a Lucey.

But then - I recently heard about the new Bernina Q 24 long arm that is coming out any time now and debuted in Houston...and now I'm in love!!! Has anyone seen or tried this machine? More importantly - any idea what the price point will be?

I am really really in love from what I've seen. Things I like are:

- Needle plate pops off like regular Bernina machines for easy cleaning/repair access
- You can use your standard domestic sewing machine needles
- Adjustable handles (something I adore about my APQS that I haven't found another brand to rival - until the Bernina popped up!)
- Interchangeable feet (APQS now has these as well now so this is where price point will definitely factor in for me)
- Programmable handles (that's amazing!)
- Bobbin winder on the machine (it seems a lot of long arms are moving away from this - I'm glad Bernina has included it! I still wind all my own bobbins!)

I think the biggest factor for me at this point is - How Much is this going to cost?? Bernina's are quality machines so I'm expecting a hefty price tag.

Just curious if anyone else has heard about these, tried them - thoughts?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-05-2014, 06:33 AM

Hi Pumpkin Patch, Yes, my LQS has been advertising the new machines that you are referring to. They said they will be getting them in in the first quarter of next year. They will have 2 sizes. I do not know the price at this point. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks for sharing sweet! I'm kind of excited about them - the only thing I've noticed that I question is I don't see a laser light for pantographs. I'm wondering if they are going to make this an accessory you have to buy separately?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 AM

For anyone reading I did find a brochure on the machine and the track system looks identical to Handi Quilter's glide system...and it looks as if you have to buy a pantograph kit and a ruler kit to go with the machine for ruler work or pantographs.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM

I got to play with this machine back in September. OMG!! There were only 6 in the country at that time for demos. It is so easy to move it's like melted butter.

I was at my Bernina dealer for an event. The head of Bernina was there. He & I were trying to get it working. The lady who was to demo it was late. What fun we had playing with the machine . Anyway I had the opportunity to test a Gammill years ago & it was very heavy & hard to move on the rails. With the Bernina Q24 I wrote my name & the machine moved so easy it was like running a hot knife thru butter. Price point is around 14K, depending on your dealer. The sit down model is a little cheaper. I'm waiting for that one to come out, as I don't have room for the rail.

No idea about pantograph or laser.

The machine has BSR, on screen adjustment ability for tension, bobbin winder on the machine, etc. It's loaded. If you go to Bernina USA website they have a video of this machine. http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...s/BERNINA-Q-en

Last edited by Feather3; 12-05-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 AM

I saw it at Houston and can't remember the price - for some reason I was thinking low 20k. the one thing I did notice is that back handles (for using pantos) is not included and they are add on??? I honestly can't imagine why they did that. My biggest concern is that it looks like the customer service is going to be provided only by your dealer and not from home base like most of the other brands. Most brands, yes we do go back to our dealer but if they don't have an answer or it is after hours we then can go to headquarters or a number provided to us.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Feather3 - I did happen to find a brochure and it says that they are add on - I don't like that much either but depending on what the kit cost is it may not be a big deal. I see there is also a ruler kit too (ruler base, ruler foot, etc.)

Quiltstringz - Hmm. I had seen somewhere around $14,000 like Feather3 but because they aren't for sale anywhere I don't know if that's rumor or based on fact. $20K would put it over the cost of a brand new APQS Millie - their top of the line machine...and I'm going to guess this is going to be more in the ballpark of an Innova and/or Handi Quilter as it seems to be a hybrid of those machines interspersed with Bernina's trademark style. Maybe that will be the price point with a computer system like the Pro Stitcher? I suppose time will tell. If the price is $20K I will sadly be out as that is far out of my price range...but if it is more in the $14,000 range I may be a taker.

Something I also wonder - is the track system going to be standard or an upgrade? Standard I would hope!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I saw it at Houston and can't remember the price - for some reason I was thinking low 20k. the one thing I did notice is that back handles (for using pantos) is not included and they are add on??? I honestly can't imagine why they did that. My biggest concern is that it looks like the customer service is going to be provided only by your dealer and not from home base like most of the other brands. Most brands, yes we do go back to our dealer but if they don't have an answer or it is after hours we then can go to headquarters or a number provided to us.
I suppose the support would be a lot like that of Handi Quilter - do you think?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM

What puts me off about it, is that it's "new" and likely will have bugs to work out. Possible faulty parts like the 8 series. Look at the 830 issues. I've had tons of issues with faulty parts and repairs on my TOL machine. Those of us who purchased an 830 and had so many problems with the new technology not being fully debugged have a bad taste in our mouths for new tech that may be prone to problems. I, personally, would wait quite a while to see what problems appear before plunking down that amount of money. Likely, I would purchase an Innova, if I had my choice.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 PM

I definitely do NOT think it an advantage that it takes domestic sewing machine needles. The round shank are much stronger which is the reason real pro machines use them. I also definitely prefer an off-machine bobbin winder so I can wind without taking the thread out of the needle. Don't get me wrong, I love my Bernina machines, but it sounds like Bernina is trying to make a domestic-style machine instead of a stronger machine like a long arm really should be. Actually, I doubt it is really built by Bernina. I know they don't build their own multi-need embroidery machines. Anybody know?