Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unfinished quilt >

Unfinished quilt

Unfinished quilt

Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks to all for the ideas I will most likely take this unfinished quilt to goodwill and see if someone else can use it for something.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

My sister works at Goodwill and got a baby/crib size quilt. Has a fabric paint on the back and a pink stain. It's an old quilt but I finally got around to deciding what to do with it. I took the backing off. I cut the binding off since it had some blue paint on it also. The batting of the quilt is almost 4" smaller than the top. I have extra batting that I'll add. and found a backing fabric. Anyway, they have a customer who comes in often enough and refurbishes quilts that come in. My sister got her name and now she takes a photo of the donated quilt to let the woman know what they got in currently. My sister asked what she did with them and the woman takes them home repairs/refurbishes then donates to the local shelters.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I recently took apart a quilt I made 25+ years ago that was also poorly done....but I still liked the fabric colors.
The quilt was too puffy -- I NEVER use polyester batting any more.
There was no separate binding -- just the backing pulled to the front, a thick mess in my opinion.
The machine quilting was very minimal -- much less than it really needed.

I will remake that thing and use it as my lap quilt for nights just like this cold, windy one, when I'm sitting here playing on the computer. I'll still have the memories of it, but will also believe that "when I knew better, I did better."

I hope you keep yours if there's any part of it you still like.

Jan in VA
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 PM

I have one like that didn't mind the pattern too much but the stitching and quilting are awful - its only a small lap quilt so I keep it in the cupboard and every now and then think I will donate it to my dog, but then I realise just how far my skills have come on, always gives me a laugh to look at it now, so back it goes.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 AM

Don't take it apart! donate it and be grateful for all the learning you have had since that quilt!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 AM

I recently remade a quilt I made for my sister about 9 years ago. It was just large scrappy squares. I had hand tied it and not close enough. No binding, had "birthed" it. The polyester batting had detoriated. It was a large quilt and sis wanted it made into two smaller quilts. I cut it in half, removed the backing, used new batting, machine quilted about in a 1-1/2-inch diagonal grid, added binding. I love the two new ones much better than the original quilt.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM

I wish I could see the two baby quilts I made, almost 20 years ago now, well before I had any idea of what I was doing. I don't even know how to classify them, they were a weird mix of applique, piecing and embroidery. I made them for a couple girls I worked with - both moved to the area at the same time, started working in my department on the same day, and got pregnant within weeks of each other. Both were really far from family so I got it into my head that they "needed" hand made baby quilts from someone and decided to go for it. I kind of shudder to think of those quilts now...made and given with lots of love but with no skill at all! LOL I'm assuming they both fell apart long ago. Both of those women moved away years ago, I didn't keep track of either, so I guess I'll never know!

Weird to think, those "babies" are now almost the age I was when I made those quilts...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Oh those first quilts! I shudder when I think of the first one I made. Not square, loose stitches. But, the child I gave it to loved it. Finish it up quickly and donate is is a great idea. Or you could hang onto it to see how far you've come.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 PM

I will be mailing off my 1st quilt to my son this coming week, I finished it in May & have since done a few small lap quilts, I can really see my improvements already. Before boxing it up I looked it over & had to laugh but still know my son will love it cuz I made it. Thats what counts!
Jeri
Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Give your unfinished project to your local animal shelter. These cuties Don't care about quarter inch seams or stitch lengths. They just want something warm and cuddly.