Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt? >

Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt?

Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are not doing the binding, then I don't see how you could wash them. If the glue was put on thinly without globs, I don't think you could tell. Make up a test sandwich and squish it about after quilting and see if you can feel the glue.
I don't see where it says the binding is not done prior to donating.
But I do a lot of basting with glue, and no matter how careful I am, I still get some globs that show on the finished quilt. A front loader is the easiest to use; wash gently after binding.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What about insects attracted to the glue in basted quilts if they are not washed when finished????

I always wash mine, gifted, personal, charity, all. I just prefer the look and can't imagine passing on to anyone fabric that has been handled by who knows how many people (and foreign!) and still has the chemicals on it. Besides which, it has been on the floor sometimes, left sitting for several days and gotten dusty, been licked -- well my fingers perhaps licked before I tried to manipulate two seams together, gotten a spot of food/drink/marking pen/animal dander on it...... I can't imagine not washing, bugs or not.

Jan in VA
Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM

I always wash mine...just to make sure it doesn't fall apart when someone else washes it!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:58 PM

I don't think everyone is reading all the posts. The quilts will not be bound when the OP lets them go so she can't really wash them herself. It would be a mess. I can't imagine the place that is getting them will not wash them before handing them out. They have to consider that volunteers have pets, dust, etc not to mention the chemicals applied to fabrics when they're made that would make sick people even sicker.

OP-in your position I would just make sure they do get washed at some point down the line and not wash them. Use a thin drizzle of glue (make sure it's elmer's washable school glue). I don't think I could tell mine were glue basted. But they usually got washed pretty quickly after I was done.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I don't see where it says the binding is not done prior to donating.
But I do a lot of basting with glue, and no matter how careful I am, I still get some globs that show on the finished quilt. A front loader is the easiest to use; wash gently after binding.
The OP is only quilting them. She then hands them off to someone else to bind them.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:16 PM

I find it hard to believe that the receiving institution is washing them before they hand them out. It would be wonderful if they did, but they probably do not have the resources to deal with the possible results: open seams, shrinkage, bleeding, etc. I had a friend who was the Project Linus coordinator in a large city. The hospitals there required that the quilts be washed before they were brought in. She in turn required it of her volunteers. Unfortunately, many quilts still came to her unwashed, and she washed them herself. Her biggest frustration was dealing with the quilts that didn't stand up to washing (and there were many).
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 AM

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I tried the glue basting, and I will have to admit, I had some globs, but they did not wash out in my front loader HD washing machine. I hated to use hot water on it, since I didn't want any fading. I finally stuck it in the bath tub and let it soak. Was really a mess trying to wring it out to put in the dryer. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it out in a front loading washing machine?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
What about insects attracted to the glue in basted quilts if they are not washed when finished????

I always wash mine, gifted, personal, charity, all. I just prefer the look and can't imagine passing on to anyone fabric that has been handled by who knows how many people (and foreign!) and still has the chemicals on it. Besides which, it has been on the floor sometimes, left sitting for several days and gotten dusty, been licked -- well my fingers perhaps licked before I tried to manipulate two seams together, gotten a spot of food/drink/marking pen/animal dander on it...... I can't imagine not washing, bugs or not.

Jan in VA
I'm with you, Jan!!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnthyme View Post
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I tried the glue basting, and I will have to admit, I had some globs, but they did not wash out in my front loader HD washing machine. I hated to use hot water on it, since I didn't want any fading. I finally stuck it in the bath tub and let it soak. Was really a mess trying to wring it out to put in the dryer. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it out in a front loading washing machine?
I glue baste all my quilts and have had no trouble with the glue washing out. I also have a front loader, just throw them in and wash on regular with regular Tide detergent. Please make sure you are using the original ELMER'S WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE and nothing else. People have said they used the dollar store one but I personally would not chance it. I received the gallon size as a gift 2 years ago and still have plenty. You just use a little, you are not saturating the quilt.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 AM

Most groups want WASHED quilts. You never know what a person is allergic to and besides, it also tells the maker, just how substantial the quilt is and if it needs a color catcher. Most recipients do not gently wash their quilts. If they are in a commercial situation, the quilts will be washed and dried in a commercial machine(not gently like at home). I always wash and dry without a softener because of allergies that someone might have......I do use 505 spray when I sandwich them......