Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt? >

Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt?

Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Glue Basting - must wash finished quilt?

Question....if you do use the glue to baste your quilt together, is it a must to wash the quilt when you are finished quilting it? Is it noticeable that it has been glue basted if you don't wash it? Just thinking it would be a more economical way to baste than spray basting for donated quilts and i've never tried the Elmers glue for quilt sandwiching, but it gets such great reviews, thought I might give it a try. I've just started quilting quilts for our local group that donates quilts for kids and the 505 spray that I love, is going to get pretty expensive and I hate working with pins. The quilts are not washed when completed before donating, so wondering what to do.
thanks,
kathy

Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 PM

I most usually wash quilts after I'm finished if I use glue to baste.I once made quilt by the organization of Quilts for Kids and they wanted them washed before sending.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM

I always wash after glue basting too. As Barb said, I also have made quilts for Quilts for Kids and they want them washed before you send them. I don't know if glue attracts bugs but it's just better to wash them and not have to worry about bugs trying to eat the glue.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I have always washed my quilts when they are finished and this includes the glue basted ones.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have always washed my quilts when they are finished and this includes the glue basted ones.
I do too, my personal quilts. But I volunteered to quilt the quilts they make only, so I don't bind them and they don't wash them. I am new to the group so just going with the flow here and trying to help a good cause that has already donated over 1600 quilts that have been well received by many organizations and hospitals.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 PM

If they are going to children, they are probably washed before given to the children. I make charity quilts for a hospice and they wash them all before giving to the patients. Check with the organization you donate to. If they are washing them, there's no need for you to wash them. Sometimes, with glue basting, you can feel a little hard spot, before washing, but if you keep your glue in real thin lines, you really cannot tell they are glue basted before washing.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
If they are going to children, they are probably washed before given to the children. I make charity quilts for a hospice and they wash them all before giving to the patients. Check with the organization you donate to. If they are washing them, there's no need for you to wash them. Sometimes, with glue basting, you can feel a little hard spot, before washing, but if you keep your glue in real thin lines, you really cannot tell they are glue basted before washing.
Thanks for sharing your insight. I suspect they are washed prior to giving them to children too. I frankly cannot imagine that they wouldn't be. I asked recently when I took the last load to a children's hospital and the receiving party (the foundation rep) didn't actually know, as she only passes them onto the units for distribution.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

If you are not doing the binding, then I don't see how you could wash them. If the glue was put on thinly without globs, I don't think you could tell. Make up a test sandwich and squish it about after quilting and see if you can feel the glue.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

I've been making* Quilts for Kids* quilts for years. I have Always washed my finished quilts before sending them in, regardless of what technique or products were used.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are not doing the binding, then I don't see how you could wash them. If the glue was put on thinly without globs, I don't think you could tell. Make up a test sandwich and squish it about after quilting and see if you can feel the glue.
Exactly! I will definitely do a test sandwich. I've been wanting to try the method anyway and like I said before, it would sure be a lot less expensive than the 505. Thanks for your thoughts on this.