Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting >

RV Quilting

RV Quilting

Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 AM

We travel around in our 5th wheel pretty much from May through October. My husband fishes and I devote my time to sewing/quilting. The bottom shelf in the pantry is devoted to my sewing machine and supplies. When that space is full I use under the bed and under the dinettes seats. I store my rulers and cutting mat between the sofa and dinette. I sew and cut on the table and iron on the counter top on my small ironing board that is stored with my rulers and cutting mat. I use the bed and sometimes the couch for my design wall. We usually dry camp, but we have a generator that probably runs about 4 hours a day. I gather supplies like fabrics and patterns during the winter months and sometimes I cut the fabrics and get everything ready prior to traveling. I also take my GO and the dies that I will be needing. I love sewing/quilting in our 5th wheel. I so look forward to our trips!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:38 AM

We have a 37 ft toy hauler. When his toys come out....mine get set up. I still iron on the table in living /dining area. When we are on the road, the diamond travels in the truck. The mat, iron and all the equipment is just a little smaller then at home. I stash things under the bed and in bins when not using them. We spend time in some places that are just made for vegging out....I really like making tops when we are there. Never set the table up outside. Sounds like a good way to meet other quilters. Will have to try it! Enjoy your travels!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM

Greetings from Montana. We camp in our 5th wheel. I always take my little Janome and use a generator in the Forest Service campgrounds. I got a little cosmetics suitcase and keep an extra set of thread, cutting tools, small rulers, scissor, pencils etc. Take it with me when I sew away from home, (camping, retreats, etc.) It holds most everything you need. I worry about taking my computerized machine when I am camping because of electricity fluctuations. Sew either inside or outside on the picnic table. Store my little machine and extras in a zippered 31 bag.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 AM

I made sure there was a board I could put over the sinks so I can iron there. I also put all my fabrics and supplies in one place, usually under the bed. Some campers are set up with really nice counters and space and others are not. I will be taking my folding chair so I can get up easily to press. It's not always so easy to quilt in small spaces but I do it anyway. Most of the campgrounds have a room with large tables or a laundry room and I use that to cut my fabrics out if I am gone a long time. I also use precuts and that helps. Good Luck with your quilting.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I like to take a TV tray converted to ironing board, one of the cheapest full size irons from Walmart (light weight but still full size), Feather Weight if only piecing but Janome Silver if you want to do it all as it does a amazing job quilting besides piecing. I also take a small cutting mat but prefer to cut all pieces before I go like a precut kit. I pack the machine in a very sturdy box and warp a quilt around it. This way it can handle a lot of bouncing. don't forget your cord and peddle or your quarter inch foot.

http://www.justcraftyenough.com/2012...ironing-board/
Pattern to convert tv tray to ironing board.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 AM

I have found that if you're living or going to be in your RV for a long time (if you're going to be in a "Park", you can use the craft room). I only use it for cutting out (I take a lint roller to pick up threads, pins, etc), I've also used the same area for ironing large amount of fabric (you know after washing). When the wind (I'm in an area with a LOT of sand), isn't blowing I'll sew outside. I use the storage under the bed as "MY fabric bed", husband doesn't care and the space will hold my machines without any problem. This is any easy place to get in and out of MOST of the time (you do need to think ahead, because I know my husband doesn't like to have to get up in the middle of the night if I have forgotten something - lol), I'm able to keep my pizza boxes stacked up with my cut fabric. This has worked out well for me. You'll find what works well for you, good luck and enjoy
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I have no clue but I sure am envious. Want to take a road trip so bad.
I agree. Just have fun !!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 AM

When I was a dispatcher I had a woman who went in the truck with her husband, now these were over the road truckers so there was a sleeper berth. All the kids were grown and all over the country so she decided she wanted to be with her husband and while driver all over they could get to see their kids. But to get to the point, she loved sewing and actually had a sewing machine and all her supplies that were kept stored under the bed when not in use. This lady actually made a wedding dress while her husband was driver cross country. I never sew the set up but he made her a table and a small ironing space to do her projects then when they stopped for the day she packed everything away. If they had a layover she could really get some sewing done. I honestly don't know how she did what she did - I've been inside those trucks with sleeper cab, and there's room but not that much room. She unfortunately passed away earlier this year, they were some of my favorite people when i was dispatching.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM

took up quilting 3 years ago while spending our winner in Arizona. there is practically nothing I can't do here in my 5th wheel that I do at home. I have 2 machines with me, I keep all my cutting boards and templates in a large carry case I made. I bought a Stanley tool box that has 3 compartments that stores my featherweight in the bottom all my threads in the middle one and all my accessories including my iron in the top. I have a small table top ironing board I bought at a used store and I'm set. I keep fabric in a tote and kits I've prepared in another storage bag on wheels. I have made everything from placemats to king size quilts
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy View Post
My hubby and I are about to become RVers! Do other RV quilters have any helpful tips, such as use of space, storing supplies,etc? Thanks!
I recently asked my Janome dealer what he recommended for storing sewing machine in rv while traveling and he advised keeping the machine in the original box to protect it from all the vibration.

I am considering the Janome 3160QDC for rv. Very lightweight.