Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting >

RV Quilting

RV Quilting

Old 01-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Red face RV Quilting

My hubby and I are about to become RVers! Do other RV quilters have any helpful tips, such as use of space, storing supplies,etc? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:29 PM

I don't full-time, but I have taken some piecing supplies with me on long trips. I pack all my gear under the bed when traveling. That is near the hitch on my trailer and doesn't bounce much. I have a fold-up sewing table I got from Leah Day,; I think it called a Gidget. SewEZ is another brand. I keep my basic supplies in a tackle box from the fishing store. I also keep my piecing organized in small totes. In general, I try to pre-cut what I can at home and just do piecing when in the trailer. I do take a cutting mat, rulers, and iron with me, leaving them in the totes. I used to take a fold-up ironing board, but I am just taking a roll-up pressing surface this year.

I am sure others will pipe in soon. Are you going to full-time or just vacation? It makes a big difference on how much storage you need.

Pam
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I have no clue but I sure am envious. Want to take a road trip so bad.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 PM

Thanks Pam! Right now it's just vacations, and trips to see our kids. I love taking my sewing machine on trips. But I'm also happy to be ironing and cutting fabric in vacation homes. Do I need to store my machine at a certain place while driving? I have no idea how bumpy the travel is.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:27 PM

Aw. I wish you could
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM

I sew and piece and some quilting in my RV every summer. I take work all ready cut out and put in baggies and mark things with post it notes. I take some thread, bigger spools and all my notions and mat and cutters. I have a small ironing surface that stays in the trailer. I sew at the table and bought a office chair that rolls and you can adjust the height. I bought a three drawer cloth light weight storage bins that I keep beside the table. I press on the counter. We do most of our eating outside under the awning so I do not move the sewing unless the kids are coming to see us. We are away for 4 months. I don't make huge items while we are gone. You have fun and hope you get more done then I did last summer.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Try a few searches here on the forum, we've had this conversation a few times..... what works for me.... I kit up blocks into baggies.... and have my little Featherweight that fits in behind the coffee maker.... BUT our little rig is only 20+ feet.... IF you stay in RV spots you usually have power so can set up out on the picnic table or where ever! Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 PM

My husband and I had a 25' C class and I was surprised at how much storage space we had. I put all my sewing stuff under one of the bench seats. If you're going to be in one place for any length of time, it might be worth it to get a folding table so you can sew outside. Have fun RVing!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM

We take two different kinds of RV trips, sometimes we have electricity and sometimes we go "outback" with no electricity. If we're going outback I take hand piecing in small plastic boxes. I did the needle turned appliqué of the center of my DD wedding quilt while RVing in the Saguaro National Forest. If we're going to have electricity I take my small sewing machine and pre cut the blocks. Everything fits under the bench seat of the table. I make sure one the boxes is pushed against the sewing machine so it can't slide around and get banged up. I have a small folding table and quilt outside. One of my best RV memories is hand sewing Christmas print hexies while sitting under the Giant Redwood trees in California. When I look at that runner I can smell the trees.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

You will have the best time quilting in your rv. I enjoy setting up a table outside to cut and sew. I have met some wonderful people, I would be quilting and they would stop by to see what I was working on. Some rv parks have sewing days and if you're lucky quilting groups. Happy quilting and traveling.