Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone use a ruler foot to FMQ with DSM? >

Does anyone use a ruler foot to FMQ with DSM?

Does anyone use a ruler foot to FMQ with DSM?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Default Does anyone use a ruler foot to FMQ with DSM?

I ran across a tut on how to attach a Janome ruler foot to a Bernina 880 to do FMQ with rulers on a DSM. I have a much more basic bernina-350pe- and I am hoping someone has experience with this! Would love to try a curved cross hatch, etc! . Thoughts?

http://freemotionquiltingadventures....-tutorial.html
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM

There's a Bernina yahoo group - look for Bernina land - that has had much discussion about ruler work on DSM's lately.

You do not have to have one of the machines in the group name to join or to benefit from being a member. I have no interest in the embroidery machines, so do not have one nor want one. Still, there is enough other information shared that it's a good group for me to belong to.

If you are not interested in joining, you might search for Lisa Calle. She has several Youtube vids on ruler work (I haven't watched them, but the group chatter has indicated that one of them was done on a 300-series machine). She has a blog and a shop that you should be able to find, too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-29-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: remove link that requires signup
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM

Thank you for the info peaceandjoy. I watched Lisa Callie's long video...she did demo ruler work on a 300 series machine! She just used the open toe and closed toe feet with bat grippers....never heard of these grippers before! Almost makes it look easy! Ha. I may give it a try....but those small practice sandwiches are oh-so-different than quilting a quilt! At least for me! Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Here's a link to another product that has been discussed. http://accentsindesign.com/fineline.html I think there are links on the home page, but if not, there are youtube vids for these rulers, too.

These rulers have pegs on them that are used as handles, so may be easier to maneuver than the batt scooters that Paula reid carries.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Amy (freemotionquiltingadventures) uses her domestic machine with a ruler foot and has videos on her site of her using them. She is a member of QB.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM

I bought the Handi Quilter Versa Tool to use with my Juki TL2010q. It's small and has a straight edge, and curved edges. It will take practice to get the hang of holding the ruler still and moving the quilt, but I was happy with the little bit I did try it.

The FMQ feet on the Juki are very thin and slid under the ruler. I searched for a taller ruler foot, but found they were very expensive. I came across a site that said they would modify my existing foot for $35, but when I contacted them, they said they discontinued doing that and only sold the ready made ones for $75. I almost talked myself into buying one, but their website was down to be revamped. Upon further searching, I came across a couple of blogs that showed how to modify my own. I didn't save the links (stupid, I know), but I had a picture and took my foot and the picture to Home Depot and found stuff to try and modify it myself. What I ended up with was a nylon spacers and superglue. The cylinder was the perfect size. The only thing I don't care for is the center is smaller than I'd like, so the visibility when you stop/start is harder. But I am still glad I did it. I just need more practice to get it just right. Oh, cost me under $3.00 to modify it.

Here are some links:

http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/pro...ndi-versatool/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loB238ld_Vg

Here is a before/after pic of the foot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508049[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	modified FMQ foot.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	508049  
Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 AM

Very impressive! Your foot appears to be thinner than mine, so I am hoping I can make this work without modifications....but I have your idea bookmarked in case! I am away from home, and am looking forward to experimenting a bit when I return! Thank you!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 PM

I guess I should weigh in on this topic since I opened the whole wonderful can of worms of doing ruler work on domestic machines in the first place.

First, I am not a Bernina user and the tute was done by a Bernina educator, Reneah Rafferty.

The tutorial on my blog that Jill refers to indicates that you can use the Janome foot on the 77 adapter shank. From there, I think the rest is just fooling your machine (if computerized) into thinking it's got a different foot on and getting the needle into the center of the ruler toe by moving the needle position. You also may need to adjust the presser foot pressure. (The Janome foot is height adjustable also) I do not know if this will work on all Berninas.

I have seen the video that Lisa Calle shot of Terri Lucas doing ruler work on several Berninas. They used regular free motion feet. I have never recommended that you do ruler work with a regular FMQ foot. It can be done, but I don't want to be responsible if the ruler slips over or under the foot. It will certainly break the needle and can throw the machine out of time. If you use a regular FMQ foot, make sure to go slowly.

Ruler work is a slower process than regular free motion and the extra care needed for doing it without a ruler foot might drive a person batty.

There are a few 3rd party ruler feet now available--- for Berninas, both that I know of use the 77 adapter. Parrs Reel Ruler is out of the UK and is a hopping style foot. It is not a 1/4 type foot (ie a 1/4 inch from the needle to the outside of the foot) which can be an issue for line spacing. They did this so it works with their own line of rulers better. Westalee from Australia has developed a true 1/4 inch ruler foot (and their own line of rulers for it, but you can use it with other rulers) and they will have an American manufacturer too, so the price might be more reasonable once that is finalized. I am waiting for my sample to come in the mail so I can try it.

Also, the new Bernina long arm machine has a ruler foot and the long arm is also supposed to use FM feet from regular Berninas, so I assume that means the ruler foot can be used on a regular Bernina.

Of course, you can modify your own foot as above!

Ruler work is such a great technique and I hope everybody can source a foot for their machine and give it a whirl. There are several videos on ruler work on this youtube playlist.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Default Ruler Foot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508144[/ATTACH]For quite some time now we have been working on a Ruler Foot to suit Domestic Sewing Machines and can say that finally after extensive testing we have made 3 to suit the majority of the Domestic Machine range. The foot gives clear vision from all sides and does not have any hopping mechanism to get in the way of your hands. The development story is on facebook here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Westa...11677348976556
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JF.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	508144  

Last edited by BillWest; 01-29-2015 at 10:33 PM.