Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not buying any new fabric !! >

Not buying any new fabric !!

Not buying any new fabric !!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 PM

About the "2 bins of children"...do the children belong to you? LOL
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Just take it one day at a time. And keep telling yourself, I will use my stash. You are very lucky to have such a stash. Especially with the price of fabric now. So just give yourself a pat o,n the back for planning ahead. I hope you find lots of fun things to do with your stash.
On New Years Day 2014, I make a resolution not to buy ANY fabric for a year. I just broke my resolution today because I finally found the upholstery fabric I have been seaching for since I bought my newoak table 8 years ago! I decided that this was worth breaking my resolution for. Challenge your self to try the same, no buying fabric for a full year. It is amazing that when you remove the choice to go get what you need, how quick you can find a "workable" alternative, and end up with a quilt you love anyway. Try it?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM

Wow. I thought I had too much. I'm using what I have, I hope, and going scrappy for awhile after I finish my granddaughters big bed quilt. Though, hubby is taking me away to our favorite B&B for Valentine's Day weekend and just have to go to the LQS in the little town there. Have to restrain myself as he just bought me the sewezi table for the camper.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 PM

I already have more fabric than I can get used in my lifetime, I have told myself that it is okay to throw away small scraps. I make stuffed animals for craft shows, and I use them for stuffing. Hope the fabric gods don't throw a lightening bolt my way.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I have a friend who is a hoarder. I have not understood why she buys and buys and her house is full as well as about 20 storage units. Now I do ! A shelf in my sewing room broke so DH needs to fix it. I have fabric stored in bins on the shelves and they are too heavy. I knew that I had FQ's, yardage and scrapes all mixed together so I figured I would clean the bins out. So far, I have gone through the red, green, brown, yellow and orange and the purple and turquoise fabric bins. I must have 500 FQ, about 50 Fat 8ths and three grocery sacks of scrapes to be cut up. Now that still leaves me the black and white, the patriotic, 2 bins of Christmas, 2 bins of children, 1 bin of mixed, one bin of floral and 2 very large bins of blue. None of these have solids in them, that is another area of the room. I think there is another bin, but I am afraid now to go into that room and check it out. I also have FQ's in the chest in the guest bedroom with all my charm squares. There has to be about 50-75 FQ of my Kaffe Fassett fabric as well as my Liberty of London Fat Sixteenth's. And believe it or not, all this except the chest are in my sewing room which is a small ex-bedroom. So now I am more than a little ashamed of all I have, I will never ever use up all my fabric. I have made a rule now that I will not buy any more fabric -other than the background or borders for my quilts. It comes at a good time as I have made all my family members quilts in their desired designs/fabrics and now I am free to use what I have. I am wondering if there is a 12 step group I can go to ?
I've been only quilting about 5 years, with only classes taken last year with no finished quilts due to care of my Parents- but I have accumulated a pretty good amount of "kits" that I have put together...that being said- I have a guild class coming up that takes 12 fat eighths of one color and 18 of another. The cost is crazy to buy them, (let alone find a bundle with the right shades) and the shops don't cut eighths! I need some stash like yours- but not that extreme!!!! Too much/ too little... do we ever have the right amount lol??
Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 AM

Guilty-! I have way too much fabric.....but I love it all. I do need to unsubscribe from anything that tempts me to buy more. I might need a bolt of black and one of a light color to put all that I have together. We are getting ready to move and when I go to that closet, I'll see how much I really have. I doubt that I'll feel too guilty, I'll enjoy looking at it all. I will get rid of what I won't use, I will get rid of what I won't use, I will, I will....
Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 AM

Good luck with that "not buying any more fabric" thing. Maybe you will be better disciplined than me.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 AM

I just moved three weeks ago and was horrified when I started packing up my quilting room. I have so much fabric. fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs and UFO's. I was offended when my daughter said I was a hoarder but now I think she has a point. Now I have the rest of my boxes unpacked and settled, its time to tackle my quilting room and I am feeling excited and nervous at the same time. I do know I won't be buying any more fabric ever. LOL
Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 AM

I am in the same predicament, although not to your extent. So, right now, I am going through everything, measuring and pricing to have a quilting yard sale this spring. I know that I will never use all this fabric in my lifetime. It's funny, but I can remember where I bought nearly all of the fabric I have and what I paid for it, yet I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. If anyone is in the same boat, there is a video on utube on how to have a successful quilt yard sale with lots of good hints and information.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 AM

I have no advice! I am a fabriholic for sure. I cleaned my stash and donated about 10 big black bags to a church and I felt like I was under control. I went on a bus "Shop Hop" and came home with so much fabric I had no idea what to do with it. That was about a year ago and I am happily sewing like mad. I could sew for 3 years without going to the LFS but I can't seem to stay away. I don't drink a lot and I certainly do not do drugs so I think I am safe with my obsession/passion. So what if I can't sew it up in my lifetime? I have instructed my son to donate my stash to my quilt group for their next auction. Meanwhile I can roll around in it like "Scrooge McDuck".