Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage >

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

Old 12-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Default I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

Because today when I went to pick up my new 401A, they had a White treadle for only $39.99. Boo yah! Paid for it right then, lol. Turns by hand just fine, treadle feels great, only needs a new belt and a big time cleaning. It has dusty dust underneath, lol. So, unless a Featherweight for $50 or a free Necchi falls into my world, I really can't see why I'd buy any more.

Ok, we can all laugh now. No, really, I'm serious!!!

I've got to figure out what to do with about half the ones I have that I have no interest in using, and then, maaaaaayyyybe I can think about buying another one.

So, for the heck of it, how many did you buy after you said this??? (Why is there no smilie with a toothy grin???)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote how many did you buy after you said this???
"

Which time?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 PM

I'm in the same boat as Leonf

I had my house full, so built a building outside to house them. It filled up real fast, and I still had too many in the house. So we converted a grain bin to store those not on the "A" list and move most of them out of the house.

It's actually been a long time since I bought a vintage machine, though I did have someone give me two of them this summer.

At this point, there are only a few I'd still love to get, but I've stopped looking. Not much time to deal with them, but expect they will all still be waiting for me when I finally retire.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:11 AM

I have 4 machines and am downsizing to two as we will be moving into a 2 bedroom townhome in 2 months. The 2nd bedroom will be my sewing area (also a guest bedroom). I am keeping my Janome 6600 and my white featherweight. I use both of them. My 13 year old Granddaughter gets my Elna and my Singer 99k is currently on Craigslist. It does a person good to move once in a while to get rid of "stuff".
Old 12-18-2017, 06:47 AM

The last thing I need is another sewing machine. Yet, I still look at every auction and estate sale notice I get, checking for desirable sewing machines.

I think the problem is getting rid of them once you own them. There is always something that needs to be fixed before you sell them or give them away. (You bought them that way, so why can't you sell them that way?)

Would you believe that I can't find a local chapter a SMAA (sewing machine addicts anonymous). You'd think there would be one in a city this large.

bkay
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I think I'm over it.
I have 4 Featherweights, a 201, 301, 15 - I think that's in on vintage. I'm finding that I'm only using the FW's and not the others.

Now if you ask me about my vintage/antique quilt collection - that's another story. I am literally up to the roof with them. I need to stop
Old 12-18-2017, 07:30 AM

I really think I am done now. I have one machine that I still think about selling, but other than that I have been using the ones I kept. I actually did sell a couple in November but then I found a serger and a 99k in a bentwood case so is was an equal exchange. For some reason I still look at CL most days, but I am just looking. The key for me is right now I have a decent place for them that I can get to and use them. It was when I started sticking them in corners I knew I had a problem
Old 12-18-2017, 04:43 PM

I'm not done yet I still need a featherweight, a 201 and one of those old green Berninas, (I forgot the model #). Oh and a Pfaff 130 too. Yes my list is long! I'm not done!
Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Would you believe that I can't find a local chapter a SMAA (sewing machine addicts anonymous). You'd think there would be one in a city this large.

bkay
That's because we would probably all sit around and look at CL together!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
That's because we would probably all sit around and look at CL together!
I burst out laughing when I read this, lol!!!