Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage >

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 AM

For some reason the White/Kenmore 117.552s with the hard angles is still appealing to me. Kind of reminds me of the 117 stealth aircraft with it's angles. I certainly don't need it for stitching and don't want another cabinet, but if one would pop up close and cheap... well, you know the story. I've walked away from 2 and don't regret it, so the thrill of the hunt continues.

Last edited by leonf; 12-19-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
For some reason the White/Kenmore 117.552s with the hard angles is still appealing to me. Kind of reminds me of the 117 stealth aircraft with it's angles. I certainly don't need it for stitching and don't want another cabinet, but if one would pop up close and cheap... well, you know the story. I've walked away from 2 and don't regret it, so the thrill of the hunt continues.
Too bad you live so far away, Leon! I have a 117.558 (I think that's the model) I got for $.99 and it works just fine. The cabinet has been refinished on top and is all shiny. Yes, that does say 99 cents, and no, I couldn't let it sit there and be an orphan, lol. I mean, if they can't sell it at Goodwill, something really dire must happen to it, right?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Rescuing is much nicer sounding than hording! I think I am done now, the older style 99 my son is picking up for me today should be it. Except for the elusive 221/222. Browsing for sm's is a lot like going to the shelter to look at the puppies...
Old 12-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
Rescuing is much nicer sounding than hording! I think I am done now, the older style 99 my son is picking up for me today should be it. Except for the elusive 221/222. Browsing for sm's is a lot like going to the shelter to look at the puppies...
Like puppies, if you go looking, you're bound to come home with one soon.

bkay
Old 12-20-2017, 07:57 AM

but vsms are a lot cheaper and don't need shots.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 AM

themadpatter, I've picked up machines in Ok, NE, Mo, Co and have received some cousin expressed from Texas, (Thanks bkay) who knows when I might get your way. hehe. I have one patiently waiting in Mississippi.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:33 AM

I have 20+ machines at the moment. They're on a big set of shelves in the living room, in my wife's sewing room, in her weaving room, tucked away here and there, and so on, All my relatives and friends have been gifted, with varying degrees of gratitude, with White rotary portables (including the ones they made with The World's Heaviest Magnesium), the usual gaggle of ubiquitous 99's, and other mechanical vagabonds. Every so often I sell one, though I've been known to give them to a truly interested customer if I like their attitude. I am somewhat disabled periodically, so there are times I can't do heavy work, and I keep a few beaters around to restore when I am limited to tabletop work. I love working on them: an aperture into what I regard as a far better time.

Last edited by Brass Head; 12-26-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Banned

Well Brass Head you're off to a good start lol. I didn't set out to collect, I just wanted to replace my moms machine that I had given to my oldest DD. Now 8 or 9 years later even though I've sold, gifted or traded away many machines I still have over 70. They just seem to keep following me home whether I have room for them or not. Getting a bigger house didn't help, then I just got a bigger machine when I bought my long arm.

Cari
Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Lol. I made an actual count: it's more like 30, with two on the way. Honestly, though, they are just such beautiful objects, cleverly and elegantly designed, wonderfully well made, in any number of intriguing aesthetic styles. There is satisfaction too in bringing them back to full function. We have rescued dogs for decades (7 at the moment), and there is similar satisfaction in restoring an old machine to use. I love to build and make stuff, but as I get older, I can no longer build a garage single-handed, do heavy stone work, or put a new sill under the barn, so I think I'll count on sewing machines to fill the gap.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Weleome, Brass Head (does that mean you're hard headed?).

bkay