Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Here's the 'trimming' method I use: http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...hods__D16.html It's the one at the top of the post.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 PM

My favorite method is The no waste method. As quilters we have to try different methods to see which one we like best. Find a quilt group in your area. There are usually very helpful people there to help. I have a library of quilt reference books to refer to when I need them... my go to books with lots of color photos, charts & diagrams.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM

I have never been successful using the method where you sew the rectangle with the two squares on the ends, nor have I been good at the one that was referred to in the Fons and Porter magazine. I started out making my flying geese units the Eleanor Burns method and although I have tried the others I always come back to that.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WQ..._sweaEMWR9SGMuI use to struggle too until I bought this deb tucker ruler chek out the link
Gale
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WQ..._sweaEMWR9SGMuI use to struggle too until I bought this deb tucker ruler chek out the link
Gale
Me too! Love her tool.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Here's the 'trimming' method I use: http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...hods__D16.html It's the one at the top of the post.
Just gave this a quick once over but looks very interesting. Might have to try that next time I need some FG. I normally do the rectangle/2 squares method and it works 'ok' for me. This method might be more exacting. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
there should be some tutorials showing the use of those rulers. Look for them, that should help if you can see how to do them.
Creative Grids Flying Geese ruler has a video.

Sandy
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 AM

Quickest and easiest way for me is PP, no matter what size I want/need.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 AM

Ok, here is what I do....rectangle and two squares( which will be the HSTs). These squares are 1/2" length of that rec. ex. Rec 3x6, sq(2)@ 3x3. Then I draw that diagonal line corner to corner on those sqs. Set on top of rec., sew one thread width to the right of that drawn line, fold over and PRESS down, there are 3pieces of fab at that corner, with scissors cut only that middle at 1/4" from seam line leaving the base and the new HST there. Most of the time, for me anyway, there will be a slight variance on those edges....use the rectangle piece edges as your guide when joining these to other parts of block. Btw, I do this to one side, then proceed to other side of rect. Also when joining to other parts, make sure you sew one thread width (again) from the point of that V that you created on the first process...to the right of that V---which is your point when turned right side out.....I think it's sewing that smidge away from the V is the secret...works for me hope it will help someone.......I am not afraid of FG!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

If I don't have a Go die in the size I need for flying geese, I make them with a hst die. Other then paper piecing, using the hst to make flying geese is the most fool proof way. I have every ruler and tried every method of making them over the years and won't bother with anyway other then die cut, hst, or paper piecing.