Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >
  • Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

• Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM

Eleano Burns method is good, and also a good one on Missouri Star Quilt Co., and also on You Tube. All show about the same thing; sometimes one is easier than the others. Don't know the reason for that, but it seems that way to me.
    Good luck with them!! Mariah
    Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with Tartan, I sew a square on either side of a rectangle, which is the size of that portion of the block, and I get good results 99% of the time. That's not to say I don't get a klunker now and then, however, I have had very good results. There is also a tutorial, I think by MSQC, or Quilt in a Day, where you use a slightly different variation and get 4 flying geese out of one square of fabric with squares. I can't explain it, but it looks much easier to me.
    Old 02-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by sprice
    Ricky Tims has a tutorial to make real easy flying geese. He's the one who is often seen with Alex Anderson.
    Lovely quilt seminar those two put on I might add.... And here is the Youtube for that method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

I love it.

tim in san jose
    Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Flying geese

Originally Posted by kristijoy
    I'm not sure exactly what you are making, but I've decided that I would personally want to trim a HST or Flying Geese unit to size. Then it's the perfect size to fit in my block. Makes a little waste, but saves me a ton of time in frustration! That's how I do all mine now. Blocks end up so much better.
    I just used my square in a square ruler and got great geese. No bias edges and all exact size. Great tool. Some waste of material but I use the scraps for my dog beds
    Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 PM

I love the "no waste" method but be aware that if the "wings" are different colors, you do not end up with it being on the same side--we found out in a beginner's class!

Tri Recs-not flying geese and important to not get "lazy" and make sure you cut the corners just like on the rule--otherwise they don't fit when you sew-ask me how I know! Ended up "unsewing" about 3 doz!
    Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM

You know there are easy ways to do quilt steps. I never follow pattern directions because it seems they always give you the most difficult methods. First I dissect the quilt or the block. If there are flying geese I count them and figure out the size. From there I make them 4 at a time the Elleanor Burns way by sewing two larger squares together and cutting on the diagonal. You can google the instructions. Then I trim them down to perfect size using the Deb Tucker wing clipper ruler. They are perfect every time because they are trimmed after they are sewn. Then I count the half square triangles. Again, using the burn method I can make 8 at a time, and they are perfect once trimmed with the E Burns triangle square up ruler. Hour glasses? Same thing. Trimming your components after sewing either gives you perfection or shows you that you need to try again. I teach this method and my students are always successful. First and foremost, make sure your 1/4" is absolutely accurate. You can do this!
    Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 AM

Location: I live in North Florida and was born and raised in South Florida

Jan, I too, have trouble with flying geese but when I sew it to the next unit, I turn it over and can see the point and where the 1/4 inch seam should be and I have had better luck than sewing it on the side I don't see it. Hope this helps a little!
    Old 02-12-2015, 05:51 AM

Do paper pieced ones. Perfect every time. A lot less frustrating for me. I struggled like you do and I have tried various methods. Paper piecing was the answer for me.