Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric dregs >

fabric dregs

fabric dregs

Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I recently went through all of my personal bins and got rid of five black trash bags of odds and ends I knew I would never use. My friend has a craft booth and is on a budget. (she is putting her child though college). There was so much I couldn't even think straight while searching for a piece, "I know it is here somewhere". Now these are not all quilting fabrics. Some were denim, upholstery, and assorted blends of dressmaking weight. I say personal bins, because I have a bin on donated fabrics I pull from for a designated charity everyone knows I support.

It is liberating to help someone else and manage the amount of fabric hanging around that I have gathered for years.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Yep I use the extra fabrics for the rescue to make bandanas for the dogs. Or I make beds. I was gifted with a huge trash bag of velvet, velour and have made many things. I am using the velvet/velour scraps for a crazy quilt I am going to make ..
Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

I agree sometimes a "gift" is no gift... its a burden. I was given bags of fabric and the contents was truly trash worthy.. filthy rags and what looked like old underwear ( I did not investigate closely). I called the gifter and inquired gently if maybe they had gotten bags mixed up .. nope ..
Old 02-28-2015, 11:39 AM

I'm in the process of moving and have donated quite a lot of fabric for my guild's garage sale. While going through what I wanted to donate I realized I have a lot more that I will never use so when things settle down I'll be ridding myself of more, a lot more! I've also gotten rid of a ton of things that were given to me (not quilting related) over the years and there will be even more in the coming weeks. It's actually tiring to keep making decisions and I need a break, but the divesting of "stuff" is not over by a long shot.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:41 PM

I have learned to tell anyone who is offering fabric scraps to me, that I will try to pass it on to someone who really needs it, but I have so much stash now that I will never use it all up. I have 4 bins now of scraps that need to be sized and cut, then stacked. I feel blessed to have this much fabric, and I know there are a lot of quilters that will be thrilled to have it.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:20 PM

I like your reply
Old 02-28-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
And me too!!!!
And me too! As long as not moldy or smelling of cigarette smoke.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 PM

I donate and love getting donations! The world is round after all!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:16 PM

This is where you can put it to good use making charity quilts. Some churches welcome fabric as they make quilts for foreign missionaries
Old 02-28-2015, 08:34 PM

Our quilting group is always happy to accept donations but on the condition that we may re-donate items we can't use. We have had all sorts of fabrics donated because if you don't quilt, you don't know! Personally, I love scrappy! I'm saving medium/dark strips for a plus quilt. It will take me a while to accumulate 200some more different ones before I can start it but I'll get there. In the mean time, I'm always checking out those donations. By the way, we've had some scuzzy stuff given to us that had to be disposed of immediately as well. People can be thoughtless.