Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VP not attending meetings >

VP not attending meetings

VP not attending meetings

Old 03-01-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
As its such an informal group why doesn't someone call, go and visit and have a friendly chat, find out if she is finding the duties too much, suggest that your group need a VP who can attend a more often, or as toverly suggested make sure you have a VP lined up for the next year, much better than all the talk going on behind her back.

I agree 100%. It confuses me why such a small and informal group would need to be bothered by rules. Go to her house yourself and have a talk. Don't push it off onto someone else, that will just make for bad feelings.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
If your Guild is very casual, I would just let it go and not expect anything out of her. Sometimes people want to be in name only. But make certain any duties of the VP get done with or without her.
This would probably cause the least trouble. Make up some bylaws that state that if you don't attend at least 1/2 or 2/3 of the meetings you are not eligible to be elected to any office.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 AM

Chris what I'm hearing is that you and your group are fed up with some of the goings on (or not goings on), of this member. You are President so you are running the meetings, you have a computer so before your next meeting you should print out a list of questions and make a copy for each member (even ones you don't see often as well as the VP). Talk a little about what your going to be passing out, in that your group has been around for some time and NEEDS to get some GUIDLINES down so EVERYONE knows what to expect from EACH officer (ie:Showing up and SHARING time, DONATING of time and skills, HELPING to raise funds for your group, WORKING to help build a better group, Also how to handle DONATED items to better serve the group, and how to handle the making of items from donated items that MUST be returned to the group in a timely fashion for your foster families or for sale, etc..., etc..., etc...). Then e-mail or send to members that didn't come to the meeting. You might find that people you don't see often start to come back (seeing that someone is starting to take this group and your mission as a helping group more seriously), you might find that this has been part of why your group has stayed so small (because people get up happy with things, they might say something once or keep any eye on how this stuff gets worked out and if it's not then they drop out). This will give your VP a heads up, but also quietly and privately put her on the spot (I doubt that she will see it this way, she doesn't think she does anything wrong). You need to state on the sheet that you will open this up for group discussions at the following meeting and only forms returned to you by the week before your next meeting will be discussed and voted on. This will give you a chance to make your notes and get things ready for the VOTE, having the things listed for your Secretary to put the totals down for each item listed. This way after the break you can let everyone know what was voted in etc..., etc..., etc...
SORRY this was so long, hope you can find something that helps. Good luck
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 AM

Thank you all for your input. It's given me a great deal to think about. Our secretary lives next door to her in an apartment complex and has repeatedly reminded her of meetings and activities to find out if she is going to attend. I think my best recourse at this time is to just "Let It Go" as my granddaughters favorite song says and bring up the subject of by-laws at the next meeting. I'll send out a mass e-mail to all members to let them know ahead of time but won't say why we're doing this. My treasurer has been a godsend at helping me with meetings and workshops. She's loaded with ideas and suggestions. Is it possible for someone to hold 2 offices? LOL. As to me not knowing if there are by-laws, I've only been in office since January and our former president has been traveling. I never thought to ask for a printout of the by-laws and they have never been discussed at any previous meetings in the last 5 years since I've been member.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bunnydonaldson View Post
Say a prayer, treat her as you would like to be treated. Maybe she'll come around, if not, election time will come around before you know it. If she begs a post next time, gently refuse her. In this world of nastiness, we can afford some patience whether we feel someone deserves it or not.
Find someone who could act as a VP when needed.
How does she find out about the give-a-ways? Maybe have this happen oftener?
Elections will come up soon. Have someone ready to run.
Otherwise, just ignore the situation and don't let it get under everyone's skin.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 AM

Well said Bunny Donaldson. "Say a prayer" is always the right answer.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
IMHO, the officers who are dedicated need to bring up the thought of making a list of rules for the guild. Use the premiss that the guild is trying to become more organized. At the meeting, ask the members to make a list of what rules they think should apply to the guild, and then discuss them and vote on them. Then send out a list of rules to all members stating that the guild has voted on these rules. You might call all members before this meeting and this would give the VP a heads up that this is what the meeting will be about so she can attend if she wants. That would not single her out if you call all members. One rule that should be discussed is the one that all officers are expected to attend at least 1/2 or 2/3 of the meetings. Also, when you hold your election or appointment of officers, make sure that it is stated that being an officer, you will be expected to be involved with the guild and attend the meetings and money making activities X number of times.
YES, to all points you presented, it is most important to have some rules because it is clear the VP has no idea of her duties. I think missing a couple meetings a year is enough unless it is clearly an emergency. Not feeling up to a meeting, is not an emergency. The VP has made her own 'rules' when it comes to being a member of the group.

If you have a full set of officers, you NEED something to refer back to. They do not have to be 'by-laws' but all points that need to be taken into consideration for those holding an office. Each officer accepts the title, it should be considered a 'job' and what company would let this go on.

You could make a plan to be late at one meeting, let her know she needs to take over, plan to come in during the meeting. That way everyone can see how prepared she is to hold the office.

The group maybe small but you need organization, starting sooner than later. When do you have the next election.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 AM

That would be a big problem in the guild I belong to. The vice president is head of our program committee.
I think giving her a courtesy call would be a nice thing to do. Then, maybe it's time to have at least a definition of the duties of the officers.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by AChristina View Post
Thank you all for your input. It's given me a great deal to think about. Our secretary lives next door to her in an apartment complex and has repeatedly reminded her of meetings and activities to find out if she is going to attend. I think my best recourse at this time is to just "Let It Go" as my granddaughters favorite song says and bring up the subject of by-laws at the next meeting. I'll send out a mass e-mail to all members to let them know ahead of time but won't say why we're doing this. My treasurer has been a godsend at helping me with meetings and workshops. She's loaded with ideas and suggestions. Is it possible for someone to hold 2 offices? LOL. As to me not knowing if there are by-laws, I've only been in office since January and our former president has been traveling. I never thought to ask for a printout of the by-laws and they have never been discussed at any previous meetings in the last 5 years since I've been member.
My husband belonged to an organization for 23 yrs...he no longer does....if your group has no by-laws then they should follow Roberts Rules of Order. Anyway most by-laws usually indicate that E-board members attend all meetings....if they can't they are required to let the E-Board know why they will be missing a meeting before the meeting takes place. If they miss 2 meetings in a row they are replaced. An E-Board meeting is held, issue discussed, a letter sent for face to face meeting with said person. Decision made by the E-Board. If person is let go of their office then at the next regular meeting members are told the said person in no longer holding that office & a new person will need to be voted in. Open nominations, take a vote.

Does your group have a 501C? If not then it is not Non-profit. Is your group taking down minutes? All non-profit groups are supposed to keep detailed minutes, member roll call, financial records & treasurer reports.

Often groups will also list how many meetings each member must attend to remain in the group thru out the year. If they miss too many for reasons other than health or work (also must notify E-Board member before meeting they will miss & why) then they are let go. Same as above...a E-board meeting is held, member discussed, face to face meeting, decision made.

Normally one person can not hold 2 E-Board offices. It's considered a violation of conflict.

It sounds like this person wants to belong to as many groups/organizations as she can to get freebies. Or her health really does get in the way. Either way if she can not fulfill her duties as an officer then she should be replaced, but permitted to remain a member if she choses to.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I reaad the original post again. And again.

What is the purpose of this group? How often do you meet?

I think the following activities were listed:

Holding meetings
Making donation quilts
Having fundraisers
Having workshops
Bringing items to share/donate
Receiving donations from outsiders
Taking shared/donated items
Complaining about the current vice president

What are the funds for? Do you have membership dues?

If your main purpose is making items to donate to others - is there a need for officers? It would make sense to have a leader and/ or contact person for accdpting donations and distributing finished items.

I belong to a small group - our main purpose is to get together once a month in one of our homes. We have show and tell - chit chat - and something go eat. No dues. Our members are very talented people - but we mostly do our own things by ourselves. I have been a member of this group for 18 years.

If there are only five members - and four officers - ?

Does the group seem to be growing? I do agree with a large group that guidelines/ rules are helpful.

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-01-2015 at 07:37 AM.