Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am ssssooooo mad >

I am ssssooooo mad

I am ssssooooo mad

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Well since we are dissing Walmart, guess what I read on the yahoo page today. A graduate student was doing some research & found bags of clothes from Walmart that were good clothes but were slashed so they were unusuable. They were thrown away instead of being donated to a charity. Walmart spokesperson said she was unware of such policies but it would not happen again.
Being a former JoAnn Fabric employee, I have witnessed items being damaged so they could be thrown away and no one would haul them out of the dumpster. These were also items that could have been donated to charity and useful to them.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 PM

What happened to "the customer is always right" ?
I agree about telling the manager.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM

That is just appalling! To destroy merchandise so no one can use it, or to just throw it away..I can't believe that Walmart woud do that, but I suppose they figure that if they can't sell it then NOBODY should have it. You are also right, jobs in the states are all going overseas for cheap labor, and the products are being shipped in faster then WE producers ship them out. So, we support all the other countries EXCEPT our own...Look for the American Made label. You may pay more, but you are supporting a home grown product.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
That is just appalling! To destroy merchandise so no one can use it, or to just throw it away..I can't believe that Walmart woud do that, but I suppose they figure that if they can't sell it then NOBODY should have it. You are also right, jobs in the states are all going overseas for cheap labor, and the products are being shipped in faster then WE producers ship them out. So, we support all the other countries EXCEPT our own...Look for the American Made label. You may pay more, but you are supporting a home grown product.
Actually, I heard a humorous (from my point of view anyway) news story concerning upset workers in Mexico. They are furious that their jobs by American companies are now being outsourced to China. One gentlemen stated in an angry voice that American Companies have no loyalty. Duh! If they did they wouldn't have outsourced OUR jobs to Mexico to begin with! :P It's all about the almight dollar and customer service or decently made goods rarely figure in to that equation.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Power Poster

They can't donate the items as they are put on the stores insurance if they are not salable and then since it is claimed then it has to be destroyed, The store doesn't have a choice. If they don't follow the rules laid out by the insurance company they loose their insurance. And the type of dumpsters that they have here are dangerous for people to pick through as they are compactors.

I will have everyone know that I worked there for over 2 years and I took pride in my job and gave the best customer service that I could, didn't matter what they asked or how far out of my way I had to go, I did it. and with a smile on my face. Nothing was to small or to big. I was always helping outside of my dept as well even though it wasn't in my job description. I cut keys, mixed paint, caught fish when they still had them and cut fabric, carried out furniture, unloaded trucks and was stacker jack qualified and I bet that you can't guess what department I worked in.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Well since we are dissing Walmart, guess what I read on the yahoo page today. A graduate student was doing some research & found bags of clothes from Walmart that were good clothes but were slashed so they were unusuable. They were thrown away instead of being donated to a charity. Walmart spokesperson said she was unware of such policies but it would not happen again.
That is so sad. The one close to me has donated clothes to charity. A small group of us had to go to the store and with a couple of employees we cut off the labels and took off the price tags. They donated about 10 huge boxes full of summer clothes to a charity I used to volunteer at. They donated to that charity another time after that(winter stuff, hats, gloves ect).
Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Cutebuns, I'm very sorry that I grouped all employees into having no pride, because I know for a fact that there are so many who do have pride in their work and treatment of their customers. I've found that some seem to mean all, when in fact is not true. Please excuse my miss statement and because of my negation of your pride in your employment. That said, Walmart is eating up, because of the low prices, our smaller businesses. And, I believe some of the stuff the now provide, they are suspending. Unfortunately, it seems that it is the fabric and most of the sewing craft materials that we as quilters use. While I personally have seen as I have grown into my quilting pride is that some of the material which was the only material that I could afford if I was going to get to sew. Now I've found that their material isn't as good and has a cheaper quality than in the Quilt stores still around. I did hear an owner of one of the quilt stores I go to, was talking on the phone to someone who was wondering what to charge for a quilt she was selling. After the phone conversation, the owner knew that these friends had heard her side of the conversation, and she explained that she could not give the answer because she didn't know what fabric she used and there is a difference in where the material is bought. These ladies were women who had quilted many more years than I agreed and added that material from Walmart was much cheaper in quality in their opinion, then what would be in a quilt store. After contemplation of listening to their talk, I felt embarrassed because I remembered making quilts from the material from Walmart purchase. Walmart allowed me to get into sewing. I considered it all and I do remember how the material felt and how some of the problems I had was due to the quality of the material. Of course, the people I made the quilts for,were excited that I had made whatever for them. So, there you go. I still look at the material and buy some from Walmart. Fortunately for me, I have been in there enough and there seems to be the same couple of girls who wait on me and that seems to make a difference in treatment. Actually, I can say I have good and bad service in many of the Walmarts I visited in different parts of the nation. Quilts make life beautiful and people who make them beautiful, too. Beth :P
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I buy fabric at our Walmart here and have had a dark green fade terribly on me twice and both times they were great in taking it back. The first time I had them replace it, but the second time I could have gotten a refund but decided to buy other fabric with the money, after all why put it back in the budget, it was already spent, lol.

Pam
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Our local store for the most part have some pretty decent people working for them. There are a few idoits but that is true in every place. I found a real pretty piece of fabric the other day. It was a beige with tiny hearts & flowers & green vines. I never could find what it was made of. My friend in fabrics & I had a good laugh because neither one of us had a lighter to try the burn test so I bought a yard anyway. Got it home & tried it. Sure enough it melted. It is pretty & I will just use it to line a bag or something. Would have made a pretty quilt. It is said to see a lot of people buying this to send across the border. Hopefully it will make Ok clothes just not quilts. Back to the employees, the older people are the best employees as they know how the public wants to be treated & remember that an honest days work is an honest days pay. Not to say that all young people are the problem but some just don't know the ways of the world. One of my dear friends in fabric just retired after 20 years & I will sure miss her.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Cutebuns, you probably worked in cosmetics or jewerly.