Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginning quilting classes- what did you wish? >

Beginning quilting classes- what did you wish?

Beginning quilting classes- what did you wish?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by citygirlsews View Post
I WISH.......I wish they had told me that after you piece all these fun beautiful quilts, you have to be talented enough to actually QUILT them. I love to sew. It is my passion! But I am not artistic and have tried for three years (after quilting for three years) to quilt my pieced projects on my domestic sewing machine (Viking Diamond) and have finally given up. I have taken classes and read a zillion books, practiced until I feel sick every time (very stressful) and I have no talent for it. Having someone else do the quilting (by check) is not an option. I am not rich. I really feel the finished quilt's beauty lies in the Quilting. Wish I knew all of this before I took two years of classes!
I am not artistic either, but wanted to make quilts anyway, so I have taught myself to do QAG (quilt as you go). Watching you tube videos and picking what worked for me. None of the videos actually shows how I do it. I use one method for sewing them, another for connecting, and another for binding, but now all of my quilts are "Kelly made"!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

timely topic as I'm co-teaching a beginner's class right now. We start with a class on fabric selection--color, value, print value, etc. and rotary cutting. Then a week later, we started with rail fence--strip piecing, nesting seams, and accuracy were the skills, 3rd week is a star block--HST, flying geese (flip and sew) were the skills, followed by Drunkard's path (curved seam) and quilt care; applique(both neede turned and machine); an easy pineapple(a complex looking block that isn't--and how color & value can change the look); sashing/borders/binding and prepping for quilting; hand quilting. This is spread out with a couple of skipped weeks, which allows them to "catch up" if needed. We provide a notebook with basics and the written directions for each week. We also recognized that every one is a different type of learner--so besides written directions, we provide step-by-step displays, demos, and encourage them to use their phones to take pictures. We start each class with a show & tell and celebrate where each student is at that point, plus prizes periodically (FQ, needler threaders, etc). Overall, we stress the learning process, that perfection is not as important as learning by our mistakes and getting something finished, and having FUN!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

I learned to quilt at Quilt in a Day. They did the log cabin block and used the Quilt in a Day book. The class and instructors were great. I went in to buy fabric and received great help. The instructor also made sure I picked the fabrics.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 AM

you sound like a great teacher I'm sure your students are going to enjoy and learn
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM

Beginners need to know to IRON and how important it is along with 1/4 inch seams.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 AM

I agree with everything that Quilted Sunshine stated. One more thing I learned to do in my very first class was how to fold and cut the fabric on the straight of grain. I had never learned to do this when sewing garments. It's such an important skill and definitely makes a difference in the end product.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 AM

I loved my first class. The basics were covered and then we were given a choice of a log cabin or square in a square quilt to make. We supplied the fabrics - the teacher had already covered how to select fabrics, and if we were stumped, gave us her time to go out into the fabric shop with her to select fabric. I loved the fact that the end of the four week class, I had actually produced a completed quilt.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM

We try to teach all the the things mentioned by everyone. Currently we are doing two classes one for home schooled teens and the other for adult beginners. The classes are every two weeks. We try to give them a project that teaches them new skills each time and gives them something completed to take home with them.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 AM

I took a 6 week course and I think she did pretty good given the 2 hours she had to teach. I think an advanced class would teach about needles and thread, color and more about the quilt sandwich. I made my first quilt from that class and it took me 6 months to do it from start to finish. I made a huge queen quilt and quilted it on my home machine. I personally do not expect a teacher to teach me everything, it's my responsibility to learn some things on my own by reading and doing the projects. I was the only student in a class of 3 that turned in my finished blocks each week. One was such a perfectionist, she absolutely could not finish a block and the other just goofed off. I am very grateful to my teacher, she was great.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM

I have taken a handful of classes. Most were for a specific task - binding, paper piecing, etc. One was a complete beginner class for a personal sized Rail Fence quilt. I felt I got exactly what I should have for each of these classes.

Consider this my shout-out for Julia at Little Blessings in Crossville, TN. She is an awesome teacher. I like that she didn't just say "Do it this way," but also explained WHY to do it this way. When you know the why its easier to remember the how, and you can make an informed decision if you decide to break the rule.

I agree with others who have stated that color theory should be a class of its own. I have a couple of books by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, and they talk about color theory quite a bit. I would love to take some of their classes.