Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 AM

I saw some giggles at the antique plaza this weekend. I love browsing those places but I rarely buy anything. But sometimes I get lucky and find a bargain, and if nothing else it's fun to look.

I always check the front case so I can laugh at the FW prices. They only had one this time, and at $395 it was ALMOST reasonable. Had a manual and the case looked decent. Usually they're more like $450-$500 so I took a moment and admired their restraint. Maybe prices are starting to fall!? This was even a ...centennial, I think it is, with the blue ring on the badge?

In the main mall I found the usual - treadle machines with big price tags and so much stuff piled on top I didn't even try to open most of them (why do they DO that? They ALL do that!) DH came and fetched me, "Did you see the really fancy Singer? With all the paint?" Well no, that doesn't sound like something I'd seen so he led me to it. Singer 66 red-eye, sitting on the floor halfway behind a table. I think, "Hmm, not up on display, maybe it'll be a bargain!" I pull it up where I can see it and it's a little rough and dusty but not too bad. Slide plate is missing but otherwise appears intact, only a couple little dots of rust. Has the foot pedal and cords all look OK, motor seems clean and everything moves alright. No attachments or manual but that's OK. Decals are pretty good but not super. Flip over the price tag and.... they wanted $450 for this "RARE ANTIQUE!!!". MORE than the FW up in the front cabinet!! I (literally) LOL'd at that one. I should have snapped a pic of the tag, it read like a bad Craig's List ad.

Someone else had plastic jars full of "sewing machine attachments". The jars were taped up so you couldn't spread out the pieces and they wanted $27 per jar. By far, MOST of what I could see in the jars looked like the brackets and pins and stuff that would have been inside an attachments box to hold the pieces in place rather than actual attachments themselves. If they were $5 I might have gone for it.

I did find a manual for a Minnesota "A" machine for $5 in the attic space at a little funky shop, but it was really dirty, yellowed, and bent up and I think a spider was living in it so I took a pass. I don't have any of those machines and don't anticipate getting one or I'd have braved its 8-legged guardian. But if anybody needs a manual, I know where you can find one if you're not afraid of spiders! It was just paper, probably about to disintegrate, but you could probably get a good scan off of it first.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
A bright pink Kenmore portable - it's eyecatching. Is this worth considering? A quick google search was not very enlightening. Maybe it's called something other than the "model 11"?

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/for/4943993831.html
It's been often talked about here, it was Kenmores' last long bobbin machine. Google "pink Kenmore".

Cari
Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Thanks! I did find info using that search criteria. From what I've now read, the long bobbins for this machine can be hard to find? I think based simply on the fact that my other Kenmores take regular old bobbins and I don't want to mess with something new, I'm going to let this one pass me by.

I do love the color though!!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

http://austin.craigslist.org/art/4882230682.html

OK, this is a "Singer" controlled by a Gameboy!!! Seriously...
Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

had to share... Probably the prettiest/coolest handcrank I have ever seen for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111622954833

WAY past my budget
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
had to share... Probably the prettiest/coolest handcrank I have ever seen for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111622954833

WAY past my budget
That sure is a pretty machine!

Funny how teeny the sewing machine beds used to be - these always look like toys to me, they're so petite.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Banned

http://longisland.craigslist.org/atq/4945207374.html

Ok, so I guess I am missing where the "fiddlebase" is......
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM

It has a base that you must fiddle with.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

maybe somebody fiddled with it.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Did you read the narrative - most of it is wrong for the picture. Pictured one does not have leaf tension OR back clamping feet. I think it's got the Franklin badge, so though made by Domestic (as a copy of the Singer 27) it's nothing like the machine Domestic made to put their name on. Someone must have told them it was a machine made by Domestic, so they found a writeup for an old Domestic machine, and used that . Though those did not have back clamp feet- they have bar mount feet for the most part.