Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help! I need a 1481203 Kenmore Stitch Width Lock >

Help! I need a 1481203 Kenmore Stitch Width Lock

Help! I need a 1481203 Kenmore Stitch Width Lock

Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Help! I need a 1481203 Kenmore Stitch Width Lock

Does anyone have a junk or xtra parts drawer you can look for a Singer Kenmore 14812040 part "Stitch Width Lock" In the manual it looks like a small knob that controls/locks the stitch length in. I bought the machine on CL, the guy said it really worked good. He brought it out of the house, then asked if I wanted to go into the house and try it out. He just freaked me out, no way did I want to go into his house. The machine only cost $20 so I wasn't going to take the chance and go into this creepy guys house. I may be old, but not dumb. Back to the subject. If anyone has one in/on any spare part sewing machine would you be willing to sell it to me. I've called Sears, nobody could help me. I found the name of the part on page 2 of the manual, but no part number. I ordered one on eBay, but it was the wrong part although the seller called it a "Stitch Width Control Knob & Assy" it was not the part I needed. Again, I need a "Stitch Width Lock", I have reseached every resource I can think of, worked on it all day. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks Much
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 AM

It might help if you post pics of the machine, a photo of the missing piece, and the full model # of the Kenmore. There's a chance someone has a "donor" for you to transplant from. The old Kenmores are hardy machines and we have some collectors here.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:40 AM

We're not likely to know which Kenmore you have just from the model number. The "148" is the source code. It refers to the manufacturer of the machine. I don't remember who 148 is though. The numbers after that refer to the specific machine and features.
Monroe's advice is right on. A few pictures will go a long way toward helping you find your part.
Rodney
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM

The 1203 is in the same series as the 1217! It is threaded to turn in and out. I unscrewed it to as far out as it goes and it poked out about half an inch without showing screw threads.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 PM

I would love to see pictures of the machine jmabby. Is it just a knob you are missing or are there parts involved inside that you need? I can look in my spare parts bin and see if I know what I am looking for.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM

The 148 series machines were manufactured by Soryu. I only have one 148 machine (or perhaps two), but I believe the width regulating lever is spring-loaded with the missing knob being a limiter. Is that correct?

Kenmore knobs can be found on eBay from those who've parted out their machines; such knobs can be an expensive solution (these sellers appear to charge as much as they can/dare), although if the machine is important to you, it would be the best route. Since your machine was only $20 (possibly less than a replacement vintage knob), you might do better to wait and buy another Kenmore machine for a similar price or less. I've been able to find CL Kenmores for free. One of my favorite Kenmores was about $6 from a thrift store, in great shape.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 AM

I have to agree with KRA, unless this particular machine has a special value to you, the part could end up doubling the price you have already paid.