Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 AM

A bought throw is a bought throw that is made by a stranger. A quilted throw is a throw stitched full of love that is made by someone who really cares about you.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
what do people do that don't have haobbies???
I often wonder this myself. Everyone always says they are too nervous to quilt...well, I am too nervous to just sit and stare at the TV. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch TV, but I am either playing on my computer (Looking at quilts a lot of the time.) Or I have it on while sewing.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 AM

One of my sisters ask my mom why cut up fabric just to sew it back together? She said something along the lines of it was a lot cheaper to just go buy a blanket. I forget what my mom's reply was.

Yet this same sister will talk about not having one of mom's quilts. Kind of complaining...why complain if you felt like it was stupid to make quilts in the first place.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:48 AM

Wow. What responses I have always loves to sew since I was very young. When asked why I "have to", I told the gloss they love their video games and Pokemon. DH loves his fishing and books. I love my fabric. Simple as that, they understand now
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 AM

Thanks Sewbizgirl!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Bless you, Grann as you fight the good fight. I will think of you daily and say a prayer. Though I have never fought this fight, I know what you mean about having quilting to keep you sane while you fight your battle.

And I congratulate you for teaching your daughter that it's not the amount you spend on something, but what it means to you. Your daughter has shown good taste and wisdom in asking you to make her a one-of-a-kind quilt stitched with love.

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
I love all the replies. So true, so true. It is our passion. People who don't have a passion for something,be it sewing, painting, cooking, whatever, are missing a giant piece of the puzzle of life. I feel sad for people who just sit around and complain of being bored. For the past 6 months I have been dealing with the big C, and quilting has been my lifeline to achieving some form of sanity. I took a quilt in to show the people in the radiation unit what I do to keep sane. Everyone came out of the woodwork, including the art therapist, and my radiology doc. They said how wonderful it was that I had something to keep me going. Quilting is an art form and an expression of our love.

My daughter is a millionaire, but she wants me to make a quilt for her guest room in her 1790 farmhouse. It thrills me beyond belief that she wants a quilt made with my loving hands. What better expression of love can there be for anyone, than something made with fabric and thread. It doesn't even have to be an elaborate work of art, it is a work of love.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 AM

My love despises yard work with a passion. Just about strokes out at the sight of a weedeater. I however, enjoy the 3 hours riding my mower each week. Gives me lots of time to think and just enjoy being outside. Yes, he would pay someone to do it without even batting an eye, I would not. He would go out a buy a blanket but understands quilting is something I enjoy thoroughly. Of course, I explained it in terms he'd understand: yes, you can buy this top-of-the-line truck with all the bells and whistles but a $500 used car will get you where you're going too. Yes, I can fix you my homemade lasagna that you love but a can of beenie-weenies will fill you up too. He doesn't really question the things I like to do anymore.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

For every reason stated. Everyone has their special art project. Many ask why because they don't know how and would like to. I was at fabric store the other day and gal wanted to do a craft but wasn't sure what to get into. Told her to start off with a kit and one of the first things would be to start with a beginner's quilt kit (tools). Has the cutting mat, rotary with an extra blade and few other things including pins and a 6x12" ruler. Was also a pillow kit with pattern/instructions. The beginners quilt kit would be useful in many crafts. Just start with kits. There's a niche for everyone.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

To be fair, I "don't get" the whole social media craze. I don't see the appeal of Facebook and Twitter. I can kinda see facebook for keeping in touch with loved ones living far away. I never will forget a friend dying in a tragic car accident and some irresponsible person posting it on facebook before the grandmother was notified. She started getting calls before the family could even get to her to break the news. I never will "get" the appeal of posting something like that. So when I get a snide remark about my hobbies I just remember that they have hobbies or interests that I don't "get" either. My sister can't boil water but she's always the first in line to try a new recipe or have a hand out for a homemade pie. I really don't think she's ever picked up a needle and thread in her entire life but I don't make negative remarks about it. Of course, I do tend to feel sorry for those who have never felt the complete and utter joy of finishing a quilt!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I totally agree with this. When I make a quilt for someone specific, I spend a lot of time thinking about that person while I work on the quilt. Even when I make a charity quilt, I am thinking good thoughts for the person who will receive it. I think my blankets come with a lot of good will, and I don't know that you can say that about a $10 throw from Kmart.
My thoughts exactly. Part of making a quilt for someone is thinking of that person while making the quilt. And I believe that all those loving thoughts are quilted into the quilt and become part of the gift. Even though some of the recipients don't "feel" the love, I know that it's there, and maybe someone down the line will feel it.