Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM

Default sewing thoughts???

So I am making a flannel throw for an elderly friend. Flannel fabrics. HST. I showed it to my very "non-sewing-in-any-form" sister who said: "I know you like to sew. You always have. But I don't understand why you don't just go buy a throw for $10 and call it good." Help me answer this. She is right. I could just Go Buy a throw and call it a party. So why do it! Why do I LOVE to Sew? And I do!! Always have. My husband doesn't get it. My daughter is starting to. My friends are on the fence. As are most 😄Quilting is relatively new to me (2 years) but my Bernina has been my friend for a long time... Am I alone in my feelings? Help......
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 PM

You accomplish making something that no one else has made. It is unique and different. Just like your elderly friend, she has you for a friend that will take the time, care, and love to create something that no one else has made for her. She won't see it anywhere else.....it is special and made just for her. Every project is a work of love and determination to finish it for someone special. Just tell them all that you want to make something that no one else has made for any of them. Quilting is your therapy!!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Because you want to.

U
Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 PM

Think of something your sister does, that she could easily pay someone else to do, or get ready-made. Does she cook? Why doesn't she just order a pizza and call it good? Why not take the family to a restaurant for Thanksgiving and call it good?

It's okay to do these things once in awhile, but if that's what we ALWAYS do, we lose the enjoyment of the task, and the satisfaction that comes from creating.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 PM

It is an art form like creating a painting or a sculpture, only in the medium of fabrics. Quilting is very much a creative outlet for all of us.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

maybe they are secretly jealous. I just realized that my mom was very jealous of everything I ever made. sad but true.
you like it coz you can do it. coz it's fun and keeps you busy. what do people do that don't have haobbies???
Old 03-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Sewing makes me happy. Buying a blanket wouldn't give me the same feeling of happiness and satisfaction.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 PM

All good answers! I've come to understand that those who are not crafty, creative, whatever you want to call it, just don't "get it". Everyone on this Board could go out and buy a quilt or a throw. The difference in making one and buying one is the joy of creating something and passing it on to someone who will appreciate it even more because it is handmade.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

I agree with the creative spirit answer. The objective is not to make a "blanket." It's to exercise our artistic soul, challenge ourselves to a higher perfection, to mastering the difficult, or just to revel in the joy of color, fabric and pattern. Many people have a passion that makes them feel more alive, more purpose to life, happy, whatever the adjective they want to use. I think it's awesome that we have so many different passions and pursuits. Makes the world a more interesting place!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Number one ... Where can you find a throw for ten dollars that is worth anything?? And two, when something makes you happy you should not have to explain it to anyone. Right? Artistic choice and made with love means a lot more than a k mart throw. It's not like you are hanging out at a sports bar or anything.