Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-27-2015, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghaven View Post
you accomplish making something that no one else has made. It is unique and different. Just like your elderly friend, she has you for a friend that will take the time, care, and love to create something that no one else has made for her. She won't see it anywhere else.....it is special and made just for her. Every project is a work of love and determination to finish it for someone special. Just tell them all that you want to make something that no one else has made for any of them. Quilting is your therapy!!!!
ditto ditto ditto....
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 AM

Personally, I have to do it... something in me just always wants to be working on something. I also like to give the quilts as gifts. I think when I give someone a quilt that I made myself it shows how much I care and really wanted to give them a special gift. I also have this thought in my head of the quilts that I have made for my great nieces and nephew.. of them someday being grown up and saying "My great aunt made this quilt for me.." I may be gone but part of me will still be with them.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Personally, I have to do it... something in me just always wants to be working on something.
This is me, 100%. It's not always quilting, but it's always *something*. I have a lot of various hobbies and art projects I like to work on them, but quilting is one of my favorite simply because once I'm done with my art, I can have something in my hands that is so much more useful than most of the other things I create.

For me, giving quilts to charity is an excuse to make more quilts. It's less that I'm making quilts FOR charity; it's more that I'm making the quilts for ME, but once they're made I don't need to keep them and the charity happens to benefit from that. (And I do feel good about donating, but if I didn't enjoy making the quilts in the first place I wouldn't be making them just to be donating them; I'd donate cash or something else.) Quilts I make for family and friends are a little more special because I try to really tailor the quilt to the individual, but even so...I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM

I have a $29 dollar quilt bought before I started quilting.
Yes you can buy cheap quilts and they are not as well made as you would make.
It is not the cost it is the creativity of making your own quilts.
I enjoy making quilts and I know it costs a lot more than store bought.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Get new friends Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:01 AM

I sew and quilt because I like to do it. I sent a quilt to a great niece for her new baby. She wrote back that she could see the love in every stitch. Others, I have not ever received a thank you. It is the same for my sister who loves to knit. Why do it when you can buy it. It is just what we do.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Some people will never get it and I would not waste my time or money making a quilt for them. If your sister doesn't get at this point in time....she never will.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
It is an art form like creating a painting or a sculpture, only in the medium of fabrics. Quilting is very much a creative outlet for all of us.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 AM

I guess I am lucky that even my friends and family who aren't crafty understand that those of us who are receive joy and satisfaction from the things we create.

I can understand why people don't "get it". My SIL gardens and loves it. My idea of yard work is to drag out the lawn chair. But I can sit and admire the plants and flowers and appreciate the hard work she puts into her yard. Yes, she could hire someone to mow and weedeat and mulch and whatever, but she gets joy and satisfaction from having her hands in the dirt.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 AM

Anyone can "go buy a quilt" not everyone can make one. When we give a gift we have made, we are giving part of ourselves with it, and every stitch is made with love.