Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 AM

I agree with what QuiltHaven stated. True anyone can go out and buy the item but then you'd be just like everyone else. I like to feel I've put a little of myself into what I give as a gift. The recipent may not feel that but when the day is done, you know you've done good. Plus, the Almighty God knows what your heart is thinking and that's important.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Anyone can "go buy a quilt" not everyone can make one. When we give a gift we have made, we are giving part of ourselves with it, and every stitch is made with love.
I totally agree with this. When I make a quilt for someone specific, I spend a lot of time thinking about that person while I work on the quilt. Even when I make a charity quilt, I am thinking good thoughts for the person who will receive it. I think my blankets come with a lot of good will, and I don't know that you can say that about a $10 throw from Kmart.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM

All I can say is THANK GOD for sewing, without it I'd be in an insane asylum for real!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM

I wonder if anyone ever says to a fisherman or hunter how much cheaper it would be to just buy the fish or meat at the market? I doubt it. All are done for the pleasure of doing it and sharing with others. Why is that hard to understand?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Hobby chefs make an elaborate meal for their guests while others throw in a Stouffer's lasagne or order pizza.
Readers will read the book over watching the movie.
Why do I make quilts? Because I can, because I want to, and because the people who get my quilts are usually quite happy about it. 'Nough said. I generally don't justify myself.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 AM

You are not alone. I love to sew. I am one with my machine. It is not all about the finished product. It is about the journey getting there.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:03 AM

It is called a hobby. Nuff said.
sandy
Old 03-28-2015, 03:22 AM

I love all the replies. So true, so true. It is our passion. People who don't have a passion for something,be it sewing, painting, cooking, whatever, are missing a giant piece of the puzzle of life. I feel sad for people who just sit around and complain of being bored. For the past 6 months I have been dealing with the big C, and quilting has been my lifeline to achieving some form of sanity. I took a quilt in to show the people in the radiation unit what I do to keep sane. Everyone came out of the woodwork, including the art therapist, and my radiology doc. They said how wonderful it was that I had something to keep me going. Quilting is an art form and an expression of our love.

My daughter is a millionaire, but she wants me to make a quilt for her guest room in her 1790 farmhouse. It thrills me beyond belief that she wants a quilt made with my loving hands. What better expression of love can there be for anyone, than something made with fabric and thread. It doesn't even have to be an elaborate work of art, it is a work of love.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:30 AM

Because I can! Sewing is a hobby, a pastime, an opportunity to slow down a bit and think your own thoughts and relax and enjoy. It is giving of your time and creativity to your family and friends. it is time for YOU to just BE. We don't always have to be rushing and doing for others in high gear. It is like golf, or any other hobby, and you get a result that can be shared with others. You don't need a REASON to quilt. My husband collects and repairs old pocket watches. He has over 200 of them in cases that are runable but he looks at his phone to see what time it is! It's a hobby, it's a pastime. Something he can do when he just wants to sit and be quiet. So is quilting, or embroidery, or knitting. I don't think we need to justify it to anyone at any time for any reason.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:35 AM

You love to sew like someone else loves to cook or knit or garden or fish or hunt or ride a bicycle or run or .....